AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Structure of Shopping Campaigns in Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I have several shopping campaigns set up at present, the ad groups are divided by product type. However Its recently been suggested to me by an agency that I should be creating ad groups for individual products, As it’ll be easier to see which products are cost effective via the shopping channel.  I’ve looked through the shopping guides in Google support but haven’t found anything that would substantiate this setup. Could you please advise me if this would be a better way to structure shopping campaigns? I currently have close to a thousand lines but will be doubling this in the next few months.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mick B
August 2016

Re: Structure of Shopping Campaigns in Adwords

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Mick,

That's a great question.

I definitely recommend checking out the resource Pankaj linked to.

In my experience overseeing many Google Shopping campaigns, it can be a good strategy to create ad groups/product groups for individual products. It largely depends on how much traffic the products are getting.

Pros:

- You can set a unique bid for each product
- It's easy to see performance data for each product
- By using separate ad groups you can set ad group-level negative keywords to sculpt which products are triggered by which search terms
- You can see benchmark data for each product, if there is sufficient overall data

Cons:

- It takes more work to break them out and manage them ongoing
- You often won't see product-level benchmark data because there's not enough data per product for Google to give you those metrics

I hope that helps!

John

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Mick,

I would suggest looking at these best practices recommended by Google. This would help you take the informed decisions about how you are structuring the account:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6167176

Let us know if this helps!
Pankaj
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mick B
August 2016

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Mick,

That's a great question.

I definitely recommend checking out the resource Pankaj linked to.

In my experience overseeing many Google Shopping campaigns, it can be a good strategy to create ad groups/product groups for individual products. It largely depends on how much traffic the products are getting.

Pros:

- You can set a unique bid for each product
- It's easy to see performance data for each product
- By using separate ad groups you can set ad group-level negative keywords to sculpt which products are triggered by which search terms
- You can see benchmark data for each product, if there is sufficient overall data

Cons:

- It takes more work to break them out and manage them ongoing
- You often won't see product-level benchmark data because there's not enough data per product for Google to give you those metrics

I hope that helps!

John

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks John, it really helps to get an unbiased view. Cheers for that