AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Splitting campaign for branded terms

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

With one of my shopping campaigns I sell multiple generic products in multiple sizes.

From my Search Query Report I learned that the non-branded term get searched a lot.

At the moment my campaign is split in 5 different adgroups. One adgroup for earch of correpsonding sizes.

For creating and optimizing a branded campaign, I would like to know if I would be better off...

1. creating a serperate lower priority campaign with all the available products in different sizes (or even only my bestsellers) and excluding the branded term in the other campign.

2. Or I rather create a serperate adgroup and exclude all branded terms from the other adgroups.

I'd like to know since I have bad experience splitting mature campaigns, since building up new history costs me a lot of budget.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Douwe,

Great question!

Usually I recommend creating a separate campaign for branded terms. This lets you easily compare performance between branded and non-branded campaigns and manage your budgets separately.

That said, you're right that sometimes performance can decrease when you stop using a mature campaign.

I recommend testing adding the branded negative keywords to your existing campaign and creating a new, lower priority campaign for the branded traffic. If the new campaign does not perform well, you can easily pause it and go back to using the mature campaign, so the risk is pretty minimal.

Best,

John

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

You are best to create two new campaigns.

1 high priority, and add the brands as excluded keywords (all generic kerywords will trigger here)

2 medium priority, no excluded branded keywords (all branded keywords will trigger here)

I would than also create an ad group per brand in both campaigns.

Now you can pause the old campaign and use it as reference, while the new campaigns get the new search term data.

Hope it helps

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There arent any real brands in my assortment. 

The products im selling are from one generic brand. They are devided over 5 different sizes.

People don't search for the flashy names the products got, but rather "<product type> + <size>" or "product type>+black".

I chose for the non-branded campaign to advertise on [product type]. To accomplish this, I added [product type] to the negatives of the high priority campaign.

Also, I'd like to know if its a good idea for rather only adding converting products to the non-branded campaign, or I'd be better off adding all products to this campaign? 

My gut tells me this is not a such bad idea, since adding the non converting products just to generate traffic will only cost me money. 

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

You should setup the campaign that makes the most sense to you, your business and budget.

There are many different setups, in the end it depends on your business goals, something I would not be able to know.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’