AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Splitting Out Generic Searches From Products - Shopping Campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There,

After looking at the search queries for my shopping campaigns and doing some quick analysis and grouping I found that generic terms were converting at a much higher CPA than product searches ( as expected ).

Is it possible to copy my current Google Shopping campaign and negate all products from it ( at a keyword level ) so I can control my spend on generic searches for Shopping ads?

Can anyone see any problems this may cause?

Thanks

Jack 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jack P
September 2015

Re: Splitting Out Generic Searches From Products - Shopping Campaigns

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jack,

Negative keywords for Shopping work exactly the same way as they do for Search, so yes, it's possible.  For example, if you have a product title of "Sony DVD ABC-123", you could use a negative Exact match Keyword [sony dvd], so you'd only receive impressions when the search term includes more words than "sony dvd".

However, I would recommend using the Search Detail report as your source for negatives (as you have been) rather than trying to be too restrictive.  Although overall your generic searches may have a higher CPA, it's possible that some of them are doing OK, so it's really a better idea to aim for the obvious high spending/poor CPA terms you can actually see generating clicks, rather than having a large negative list that might result in great CPA, but only 2 sales a month.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jack P
September 2015

Re: Splitting Out Generic Searches From Products - Shopping Campaigns

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jack,

Negative keywords for Shopping work exactly the same way as they do for Search, so yes, it's possible.  For example, if you have a product title of "Sony DVD ABC-123", you could use a negative Exact match Keyword [sony dvd], so you'd only receive impressions when the search term includes more words than "sony dvd".

However, I would recommend using the Search Detail report as your source for negatives (as you have been) rather than trying to be too restrictive.  Although overall your generic searches may have a higher CPA, it's possible that some of them are doing OK, so it's really a better idea to aim for the obvious high spending/poor CPA terms you can actually see generating clicks, rather than having a large negative list that might result in great CPA, but only 2 sales a month.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits