AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Single word negative keyword question

LTG
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
LTG
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I would like to stop my product listing ads from appearing if a search term contains a specific word.

For example if the search terms 'big cars', 'small cars' or 'purple cars' are entered I do not want my ads appearing because I do not want to promote cars.  How would I achieve this?

I have tried adding a single word as a negative keyword (in this case cars) but when viewing the Search Terms section report, I can see that my ads have appeared.

Many thanks

Steve.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author LTG
January 2017

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@LTG

Adding the word cars should prevent triggering ads with queries containing "cars."   You need to make sure you added it on the campaign level, and to all your campaigns if you have multiple.  It's possible you only added it on the adgroup level.  

Negatives work as exact match only.  For example, cars should stop queries with cars in them, but not car.  So if it's the singular you are seeing, you need to add that one too.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author LTG
January 2017

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@LTG

Adding the word cars should prevent triggering ads with queries containing "cars."   You need to make sure you added it on the campaign level, and to all your campaigns if you have multiple.  It's possible you only added it on the adgroup level.  

Negatives work as exact match only.  For example, cars should stop queries with cars in them, but not car.  So if it's the singular you are seeing, you need to add that one too.

LTG
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
LTG
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the advice.  I will take a look at our settings again.

Steve.