AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Should GCLID follow through the complete shopping process

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

When a customer clicks on a Google Shopping, google slaps a GCLID on the URL.

When that customer purchases and ends up completing the purchase they finish on the /success page. 

Should this /success page URL include the GCLID? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Rob.

Not necessarily, unless you want to capture this parameter for use in a third party application. Otherwise both Google AdWords and Google Analytics use cookies for attribution and reporting.

Hope it helps

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for that we are using a 'third party' to manage our feed and show all transactions in their 'control Panel.  Apparantly it is easier that using Google Adwords to view transactions and bid Smiley Happy 

We have had problems with the GCLID staying on product urls once the customer enters the website from Google Shopping.  So I think we may have solved that. 

But still there is no conversion tracking in Analytics and none in the third parties control panel.

They add their own tracking on the end of the GCLID.  

Now speaking to the third party people this morning they are saying that the GCLID and they tracking should stay on until the Success page!?!?   

For us neither stay on through the checkout page or Success page. 

So I am not thinking the shopping cart is stripping out the tracking, but before i went down that avenue, I wanted to make sure GLCID should/could be staying on the URL? 

Sorry short question, long response for context Smiley Happy 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello, Rob.

I'm not sure I understood everything. You're saying "We have had problems with the GCLID staying on product urls once the customer enters the website from Google Shopping.  So I think we may have solved that."

What does that mean? That you don't want the GCLID to be appended to URLs as people surf your website once they landed from and AdWords campaign?

As for "Apparantly it is easier that using Google Adwords to view transactions and bid" I don't think this is necessarily true, as AdWords and Analytics are tightly integrated and offer a level of attribution and reporting that no other suite can offer, simply because they cannot go that "deep" into Google AdWords' data.

Moving to "Now speaking to the third party people this morning they are saying that the GCLID and they tracking should stay on until the Success page!?!?"

My guess is the third party is using a very "basic" attribution model which checks for the existence of a GCLID parameter on the success page. If there is any, it attributes that transaction to AdWords (and the third party company). If there's none, it doesn't attribute it to AdWords and themselves.

If there is a GCLID once someone lands on a website page and it then disappears it is probably because the webserver is not configured to keep it. You'll have to talk to the company / person that developed your website and tell them what your third party needs.

Hope I managed to make myself at least somewhat clear and that I deduced correctly what your situation is.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 

Sorry for the confusion, but we have an issue with GCLID being stripped by our website. Although upto Checkout it appears to be staying with the URL now Smiley Happy 

Regarding the "we can manage our shopping bids etc more easily through their software than in Analytics and Adwords", usual BS from sales people Smiley Happy 

What my issue is that the GCLID and third party conversions tracking should both be appended from Google Shopping, on landing page, through cart/checkout process and the success page. 

Now what actually happens is the GCLID and feed companies stays at end of URL until the checkout and success page.  Then it disappears.

So all I wanted to find out is should the GCLID stay with the URL all though the checkout process, along with feed companies tracking? I am presuming it is easier to answer regarding the GCLID. Smiley Happy 

In which case then the shopping cart on my site is stripping out the GCLID/feed append-tracking and that is where I need to look for issue. 

What I didn't want to do was take their word for it, before I checked and found out I was turning an issue into a nightmare Smiley Happy 

So I just trying to find out, before I make or investigate the checkout pages if everything was equaul and working well, should i expect see GCLID throuhgout the buying process, including the success page?  

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again, Rob.

As far as the third party tracking goes, you'll need to talk to them. AdWords doesn't need the GCLID in the URL as the click is already recorded by the time the visitor lands on your website.

Analytics, on the other hand, when linked to your AdWords account, can join a wealth of data, to the AdWords data, based on the GCLID, if it is present on the landing page. From then on, in all cases I've seen except one, the GCLID disappears (it is not carried from link to link on the website until the thank you page). The only situation when it was necessary to keep it was when the landing page was on one domain and the conversion on another, and the conversion had to be attributed to AdWords.

If AdWords and Analytics are not what you're interested in, please talk to the third party, ask them what needs to be implemented and then talk to whomever created your website in order to implement the third party's recommendations.