AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Shoppping Policy: Hundreds of products unapproved, while my competitor's same products are published

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am really disappointed about the google shopping support team/policy management .

My feed had 1100+ products in it, and 700+ were blocked because of policy violations.

My site sells clothing and lingerie.

I contacted Google Adwords Support explaining my case and they told me my pictures are violating the Policies.

I kindly explained and showed the competitors in my sector, publish thousands of same products (even more "objectionable")

with no problems at all.

In the meanwhile, trying a sort of debugging, I reduced the number of producs from 1200 to 300, excluding all the products that could be seen as vaguely adults only,

populating the feed only with dresses, yet 50% are "violating the policy".

The useless reply from Google Shopping was like: Sorry but the policies are strict in your sector.

[censored]! I only publish clothings. Some are really long down to the feet.  Dear Google Shopping Support team, did you ever see what you are publishing in your google shopping pages under the keywords from my sector? I see body parts (female and male) of every kind published and for sale, in hundreds of pages.

Terrible. Tipical answer from a huge "I-do-not-care-my-customers-at-all" company.

I suspect they didn't even look at my site.

Thanks to anyone who spends time reading this.

N.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Shoppping Policy: Hundreds of products unapproved, while my competitor's same products are publi

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

some items that are adult-orientated, approved-adult or non-family-safe,
may be submitted as product-listing-ads under the following conditions:
(a) the adult attribute is submitted with an exact value of TRUE
(b) the adult-content box is checked under the general-settings.

if only a very few products are adult then, only (a) is required --
if a website generally targets an adult audience then, both (a)
and (b) are required -- otherwise, such items may be disapproved
or the account, site, and merchant, may be suspended from the
program, at any time.

google is the final arbiter of both adult and generally-targets.

if these conditions are met then, such items may be

submitted and potentially seen as product-listing-ads.

any website that includes partial or complete nudity, or any sexual
behavior or orientation that can be inferred from a user's visit to
a site, cannot use interest-based or location-based advertising.

for all other ads, any nudity is subject to an approved-adult
status; any mature-context is subject to a non-family status;
as an aside, neither status is in any way limited to adult-toys.

any sexually suggestive content, or sexual body parts
that are blurred or censored, are only allowed under
certain conditions and are otherwise not allowed.

as a slight aside, note that the number of items flagged under the

diagnostics-tab are mainly examples (samples) to be used to help

diagnose issues -- the actual number affected may be many more.

however, forum-members can mainly offer suggestions based on information
that is published here in the public forums -- forum-members cannot look into
any submitted data, images, or any account details or histories.

google is the final arbiter of all policies.

potential policy violations by other advertisers may be reported to google:
https://support.google.com/merchants/contact/policy

Re: Shoppping Policy: Hundreds of products unapproved, while my competitor's same products are publi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Celebird, for your long reply .
Both a) is checked and b) has been set when needed.
Yet I can't understand some things.

1- Some products are ok and are displayed and some are not. Hence: it's not a mattter of whole content. Otherwise none of the products would be displayed.
2- Almost all the products if not all from the the last feed I sent, are normal woman dresses. While instead if I perform a google shopping search for products like the ones I removed from my former feed, I get hundreds of results. See keywords like "guepiere", "cottelli", "catsuit". You get dozens or hundreds of picture with partial or wide nudity.
Some of my clothes in the "epurated" feed are blocked. Landing page of those clothes show related products that are clothes as well. (ie: no nudity content in the landing page)

Here some samples (taken from google servers, not from my site)

My "Policy violating dresses":

http://goo.gl/dWRufR
http://goo.gl/qP9MzJ
http://goo.gl/IBAK7K
http://goo.gl/nfXpDS

Could anyone be offended?
Theese products up here are blocked, while the following google shoping results are displayed!

(warning: adult content in the following link from "google shopping search")
https://goo.gl/v3CrSc

I know "google is the final arbiter of all policies.", but, frankly, this is ridiculous

Your final suggestions didn't sort any result in the past. Apart from that, I definitely cannot spend endless hours
submitting a form for each single violation.

I know I can't do nothing but bumping from this absurd situation. Nonetheless, I'm really angry and confused.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Please keep in mind that these decisions are based on the opinion the Googler who looks at them. It isn't a black and white system.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

first, you're welcome.

(1) having items display, having items display with
safe-search on or off, and having items disapproved,
are three rather different issues.

(2) if those exact images are being submitted then, they all likely violate
the policies and are grounds for disapproval or suspension, at any time --
regardless of, or in addition to, any adult related issue.

clothing apparel items have rather strict rules and policies.

for example, any image submitted must be at least 250 x 250 pixels --
and not much larger than approximately 800x800 pixels or so, such
that, the server can keep pace with all google's crawl request.

clothing has additional policies related to images and variants in general.

a single disapproval may be due to multiple issues.

offensive-content, adult-oriented-content on the site,
and adult-oriented listings, are different and fall under
different sections of the policies.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
all images are 600x800

The weird thing is that some clothes are wedding clothes and are disapproved, while others pass the "infallible" crawler with no problem, in the same feed.

The only solution to have my products shown is to remove 95% of my catalog..
I stopped caring about google shopping tool, given the small amout of click it's generaing, and the null things I can do.

I'll spend my infallible money somewhere else.

Thanks you all for your replies.
N.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Google has two system policy detection operations, one which is manual reviews and two is automated.

It is possible that the violation is not just the image, but something in the title or description. For example sexual connotation is not aloud. Unfortunately not everything as you have experienced is explained. I suggest that you look for text advertising as an alternative or other marketplaces.

In the end Google has the final say in what is shown and what not. We community members can merely suggest where to look. As you know it's hard to fix an issue if you do not know where or what to look for.

So I suggest have a read through the full policy and see if you can identify anything that could cause your products to be an issue. A good understanding of the policy is highly recommended for all merchants.
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’