AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Shopping campaigns some irrelevant search terms

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, I am running adwords campaigns of a client for past few days and recently i launched his shopping campaigns targeting new audiences. 

search terms.png

as you can see in image i have been getting many irrelevant searches. my client sells mobile accessories, covers cases screen guards (no mobile phones). there are some covers with bob marley pic etc which i think shouldn't get triggered here. Also searches for mobile phones are there not covers. I have checked the feed and i think its ok. I dont want people searching for "iphone 6" and my ads getting triggered there but if someone is searching for "iphone 6 cover" or  "bob marley covers", then its more relevant  for me. IS there any suggestion for how to improve the feed. or are there any ideas so that I can add keywords like term like words having "case" "cover" "screen guard" "earphone" should trigger my shopping ad on google

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ankit B
June

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Two possibilities for you.

Exclude all products from your feed that are covers featuring something famous. 

Get an Excel dump of your products. Remove everything from titles like cover, color, leather, flip, make, model. Just by a search & replace. Then when only the words like bob marley are left, you have a list you can add as exact negatives. Could only be a 10 minute job if your titles have a consistent format.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

There is nothing you can do in the feed to avoid these search terms.

You need to either exclude the search terms you do not want.

Or create a multi campaign setup using priority settings : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6275296

Hope this helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

i thought of excluding, but there are 20,000 products, so negating more than 10,000's of keywords in exact would be difficult a lot. it could happen that i negate a relevant search term in that process

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ankit B
June

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Two possibilities for you.

Exclude all products from your feed that are covers featuring something famous. 

Get an Excel dump of your products. Remove everything from titles like cover, color, leather, flip, make, model. Just by a search & replace. Then when only the words like bob marley are left, you have a list you can add as exact negatives. Could only be a 10 minute job if your titles have a consistent format.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@RobSkelton i was thinking a little bit of that, but you have given me the exact thing to be done, thanks 

I'll try this tip of yours and try to see the results for a week

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I will be giving example of few products headlines and description that are being used

1) Headline: Bob Marley Skull Case For Moto G5

Description: Our Horizon Cases combines premium protection with brilliant design. The slim profile keeps your tech looking sleek, while guarding against scuffs and scratches. Just snap it onto the case and you are good to go.

2) Headline: Whisky Glass Case For Vivo V5s

Description: Our Horizon Cases combines premium protection with brilliant design. The slim profile keeps your tech looking sleek, while guarding against scuffs and scratches. Just snap it onto the case and you are good to go.

3) Headline : Dog Love Smartphone Pouch For Gionee M7 Power

Description: A trendy printed smartphone pouch with a sleek exterior crafted entirely out of genuine leather. The inside is lined with suede fabric for nap feel. The back has an additional section for your cards, documents and stationery items.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

So, search/replace "case" with "".

search/replace "moto" with "".

search/replace "vivo" with "".

until all that is left is

bob marley

whiskey glass

dog love

etc...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, I tried your suggestion, and tested the campaign for 1 day on a minimum budget of 4 dollar a day. I faced some issues

1) there are more than 30,000 products (33462 precise). So It created near about 22000 negative keywords. adding those in negatives is showing an error "10000 is the limit". 

2) still i added only 10,000 out of them. problem is that people are too creative in searching. (example suppose i had added iphone 6s as exact negative. i have got searches like "apple 6s" "I phone 6s" "apple iphone 6s"). then i realized if i try every possible combination of these kind of loopholes, near about 2 million negatives are formed. which would be even impossible for me to create and i guarentee still i will miss something

I think the negative idea would have worked if i had only 500-1000 products. but the catalogue here is spending money uselessly

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

You can run different segments of your products in different campaigns.

That is a serious downside of negative keywords, you need to enter every possible variation.

Keep in mind that your competitors have the same problem. If everyone solved it, profits would rise and the click costs would also rise. Ultimately it might just be easiest to suffer the irrelevant searches. And the 10,000 negatives will be giving you an advantage over competitors already...