AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Shopping campaign woes

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

This is my first post in this forum, and I believe this is the right location for my question. I work for a bike shop that does a lot of e-commerce, so shopping campaigns are pretty important. At the end of March of this year, I started looking into creating a second shopping campaign that only contained some of our higher priority products. After doing research on Adwords' help section and talking with our Adwords rep, I set this new campaign at a higher priority than our main shopping campaign, and excluded the rest of the products that I didn't want to focus on.

I don't know if I found this next piece of info online, or if it was suggested to me by the rep, or if maybe I made it up, but I then excluded these high priority products from the original shopping campaign. I am not certain if that was part of my problem.

Over the next couple of days, our total number of clicks dropped off from just under 800/wk and $50/wk, to 390/wk at $140/wk.

Here is the original campaign

New campaign

This is obviously not what I was going for. I have since re-included these priority products in to the original campaign, changing how I segmented the products in both campaigns (from product category to brand), briefly (1 week) shutting off the new campaign, etc. Our adwords rep does not seem to have any ideas. I just turned off the new campaign again, and am going to leave it off for longer. Maybe (hopefully) one week wasn't enough time to let things re-set themselves.

Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated. Happy to provide more information also.

Thanks,

Dan

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Shopping campaign woes

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
There is no easy answer to this, but it can be a combination of things.

The most important would be, did you copy the campaign settings and negative keywords from the original campaign to the new one?

Moving products to different campaigns or ad groups will be 100% back to normal within 24 hours.

However I do not understand why you would set the campaign priority. If you have different campaigns with different products, priority settings does not do anything.

Prioritiy settings are there to allow you to do the below as an example.

Campaign A - priority High - excluded branded keywords as negative keywords
Campaign B - priority Medium - will receive all branded keywords

So Google looks first at High than Medium than Low priority campaigns.

But based on your requirements, the priority will not do anything.

You can split up campaigns or ad groups with different products using subdivisions such as categories, product type, custom labels etc...

So the only logical explanation to your issue would be that a setting was not identical as to your original campaign.

Hope it helps.
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Campaign priority settings should definitely be taken out of the equation. Like Emmanuel said it shouldn't be an issue with the way the campaigns are setup. Eliminate that setting as a variable, just to be sure it's not making anything weird...

Your approach is right on. Prioritize your top sellers in their own campaign, and dedicate enough budget, at high enough bids, to maximize return. Then exclude those products from the secondary campaign, to ensure that you are always accruing impressions for the right products, in the right campaign.

In regards to the shared screen shots: If we are looking at the adgroup level of separate campaigns, then there is something missing - But, you're only missing about 200 clicks a week. You got another 150-ish/wk out of the new campaign. With an average CPC of the new/premium campaign being about 4X more than the old/secondary campaign, with the same budget, you would expect a 20-25% loss in total click volume. If you're paying more per click in the premium campaign, you need more budget to maintain the same volume.

You have to do the ROI comparison to know where the adbuy is most effective. Clearly not all products have the same value. If you are making more total profit focusing on high value and high volume products in the premium campaign, then dedicate as much budget as you can (or are able to spend per day), on that campaign. Clicks, and click costs are only part of the equation, revenues and profits are the other half.
Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Emmanuel,
Thank you for your prompt reply and assistance, and sorry for the not so prompt response.

My thought is to have the top performing products in both campaigns, with the "top performers campaign" as a higher priority. This way, impressions and clicks for these products will first be directed towards the high priority campaign, and if the budget runs out during the day, those products will still display through the second, all encompassing campaign.

This is not how I initially set things up, where I excluded these top performing products from the original campaign, but when total clicks started going south I thought that might be the problem, so I re-included them. Although that did not in fact help.

I am not positive if I made all the settings exactly the same, but I believe it was close if not the same. Can you elaborate as to how this might mess things up, or no?

You mentioned negative keywords. My (meager) understanding is that they are used to exclude certain search phrases that might prompt irrelevant impressions. Now that I think about it, I'm sure I could use some, but for the most part, our products and services (and therefore search inquiries) are quite specific, so my thought is that negative keywords are not that important. Am I looking at this wrong?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tom,
Thank you for replying, and for your assistance.

So my understanding after reading your and Emmanuel's responses is that it is best practice to have your top selling items in their own campaign, without any crossover. Is that correct? After a while, when things seemed to be going awry and thought this might be the issue I then re-included these products in the original campaign, thinking that the low priority setting would cause them to show first in their own campaign, and if that budget were to run out, they would still display in the original campaign. It was not the issue, as the clicks didn't return.

I appreciate that clicks and costs are only the half of it. At the time we had a new site, and did not yet have the tracking code installed, so I don't have much to go off there.

There is definitely something going on, I just have no idea what. I will upload a few more screenshots, that although don't offer any answers, might illustrate the change better.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is the original campaign in March of this year. All products included.

Here is the new, high priority campaign in April, just a handful of products

And the original campaign, also in April, with the high priority products excluded.

The product groups are confusing. At the time, that is not how they were set up, but I have them like that now so I guess they just display that way. 

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hello Dan,
Your second reply does not make much sense to me. Why do you want to have a budget limit on high priority, than to simply continue in medium priority?

Setting up different campaigns is designed for doing different things, but from what I'm reading, both campaigns do exactly the same. Not something I see a benefit in. I pretty much see negative effects.

As to negative keywords, yes they are important. If you are so lucky that every keyword is relevant and has a high return, than I'm happy for you. However I doubt this would ever be the case.

Your last message does make sense, how you have set it up. This should work. However do note that priority settings in this setup is not going to do anything. So you simply have your best sellers or focus products in one group and than the rest in another group. That is a good setup.

You should focus and continue on this setup.

Hope it helps.
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My thinking was that I could allocate part of my limited budget to the high priority campaign, and that if that budget were to run out more quickly, the other, low priority campaign (which contains ALL products, including those in the high priority campaign) would still display these products. Sort of like a safe-guard.

I only did this after noticing the large drop in overall clicks, and was thinking that maybe excluding these high priority products from the original campaign was messing things up.

I think at this point I am going to scrap both campaigns, use a list of SKUs to create a "top performers" campaign, exclude these SKUs for a second "low performer" campaign, keep them both at the same priority and settings, and see what happens. Oh, and get some negative keywords going!

Thank you for your continued input and assistance.

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner
With a limited budget, any active campaigns outside of your top performer will just eat up budget that could go to the premium campaign. Without proper revenue tracking, you have to make some assumptions. Focusing on the products that you know generate revenue is the smart thing to do. Just keep reminding yourself that click volume isn't all there is to it. You may have to pay a little more for fewer clicks for the top performing products, but if you end up selling more, then you are accomplishing your advertising goal.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the advice Tom, I appreciate it.
Dan