AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Shopping campaign priority not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've set up two Shopping campaigns with the same products, one campaign is targeting brand traffic and is set to medium priority, the generic campaign is set to high priority, has much lower bids and brand terms as negative keywords. Both campaigns have the same shared budget which is depleted everyday.

The account has been set up that way so I can bid more for branded traffic which converts better.

But the brand campaign is picking up lots of generic search terms and I have no idea why.

One possibility was that because budget is limited, Google may show items from the lower priority campaign as per its documentation on campaign priority. However, I checked the search terms early in the morning for the same day, way before budget gets squeezed, and the brand campaign was still getting generic traffic. Budget is set to be spread out evenly during the day.

Has anyone experienced campaign priorities not working?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Harry P
June

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

If you use priority campaigns without any negative keywords. Then the one with the highest priority will win the ad auction, regardless of max cpc.

If you use negative keywords, then this starts to work differently.

Anything excluded from the high priority campaign will end up in the medium priority campaign.

I have set these up for hundreds of clients and never had your issue. Other than making sure the medium priority bids are always higher than the high priority bids.

If you have checked all of this, then I'm guessing your setup is wrong.

As we have no access to your account, checking this will be impossible. I recommend for this to contact Google directly: https://support.google.com/merchants/contactflow

Hope this helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

There are two scenarios this can happen.

The priority settings are not correct. 

Generic campaign: High Priority

Branded campaign: Medium Priority

The second scenario if the first one is correct

Your negative keywords are triggering generic search terms. Carefully inspect the campaign, ad group, and list negative keywords.

Hope this helps.

Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I almost wish I got the priority settings wrong, as then it would be a quick fix.

What do you mean by negative keywords trigerring generic search terms?

The brand negative keywords stop brand search terms from appearing in the generic campaign, but this is not an issue here.

I've been adding generic search terms as negative keywords to the brand campaigns at the moment as a quick fix but new generic search terms keep coming up and I can't keep doing that.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

As you have added negative keywords in the High Priority campaign, I recommend you check all the negatives you have added, be it campaign, ad group or lists.

Anything you add as a negative to the High Priority campaign will trigger if not blocked again in the medium priority campaign.

A full documentation can be found here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6275296

Hope this helps.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Harry,

I think the issue would be the shared budget. Priorities stop working when one of the two budgets is depleted. With a shared budget, Google needs to decide how the budget is allocated. That might supersede your priorities - especially if the budget typically runs out. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That's a good point and the official documentation does mention something like this. There are no two budgets though, just one shared budget. I also checked the search terms early morning, when there's still plenty of budget left and I was getting the generic traffic in the brand campaign.

Finally, I've set the max bid for the brand campaign very high compared to the generic traffic. Yesterday, the brand campaign spent 4 times as much as the generic campaign. So if a user enters a generic search query, why would Google pick the item from a campaign with a higher max bid if budget is being limited? Especially going against campaign priority. And ending up with the brand campaign spending far more than the generic campaign.

The generic campaign also got fewer clicks than the brand campaign but I think this is partially due to the fact that the bids are so low, the ads are losing the auction most of the time. It's almost as if Google is disregarding this campaign priority and showing items from the brand campaign because bids are higher there...

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Harry P
June

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

If you use priority campaigns without any negative keywords. Then the one with the highest priority will win the ad auction, regardless of max cpc.

If you use negative keywords, then this starts to work differently.

Anything excluded from the high priority campaign will end up in the medium priority campaign.

I have set these up for hundreds of clients and never had your issue. Other than making sure the medium priority bids are always higher than the high priority bids.

If you have checked all of this, then I'm guessing your setup is wrong.

As we have no access to your account, checking this will be impossible. I recommend for this to contact Google directly: https://support.google.com/merchants/contactflow

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I solved it!

Thanks for your help Emmanuel, negative keywords were indeed to be blamed.

The generic campaign was further split into product types, so adgroup A for product type A and so on, as well as a generic adgroup that acted as a catch-all for anything that didn't fit in the other adgroups, all this with the use of negative keywords at adgroup level.

But the product titles are quite messy, containing "Brand X product type A product type B" in it, meaning this particular item gets blocked in the generic adgroup, adgroup A and adgroup B and ends up having to show in the Brand campaign.

All sorted now.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Glad you got it solved.