AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

2.3K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Shopping bids

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys, 

Just wanted to check if you can make bid adjustments based on a product category or product type?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
February

Shopping bids

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Thomas,

You can set the bid based on product category and product type by subdividing product groups using those attributes. See the full list of attributes you can subdivide and bid on here. I think this is what you were asking, however I want to clarify that you can't setup bid adjustments by product category or type in the same way that you can setup something like device bid adjustments. You must set a bid for these attributes, you can't explicitly state that you want to bid 20% more if a someone searches for a product in product category XYZ.

Hope that helps,

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
February

Shopping bids

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Thomas,

You can set the bid based on product category and product type by subdividing product groups using those attributes. See the full list of attributes you can subdivide and bid on here. I think this is what you were asking, however I want to clarify that you can't setup bid adjustments by product category or type in the same way that you can setup something like device bid adjustments. You must set a bid for these attributes, you can't explicitly state that you want to bid 20% more if a someone searches for a product in product category XYZ.

Hope that helps,

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Shopping bids

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for responding, but if I wanted to increase a bid on a single product type within a product group I can do without changing the bid of the rest of the product types within that adgroup?

Shopping bids

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Yes you can, simply create your campaign with the ad group using a product type subdivision as documented by Jim than you can change all bids. However if you have a parent product type and have childrens listed. The parent can not have a bid as the bidding has moved down to the child.

I recommend creating the campaign, pause it and start testing subdivisions. This gives you a very quick understanding how it works without worrying that you are having your ads live.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’