AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Shopping Campaigns products blacklist

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In Shopping Campaigns I would like to stop bidding on some specific products of my inventory, that are not converting. I manage thousand of products and I don't want to work on my feeds.

Does anyone know if it's possible to exclude from the bidding a list of product ids (like what we can do with negative keywords)?

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Shopping Campaigns products blacklist

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Alessandro,

There's a couple of ways you could approach this.  

#1 - Shopping Campaigns do allow for an "inventory filter" which you can set up within the Campaign Settings screen.  This allows you to create rules based upon the attributes of your feed to filter out certain products.  However, if you've got a very large number of products and those you want to exclude do not have a common element (i.e. they're not all one category or have a similar ID) then it could be tiresome and time consuming to build such a filter.

#2 - Probably a better solution is to use Scripts to examine the performance of the individual products and then automatically act upon that performance.  I use Scripts with all my Shopping Campaigns and while I don't use them to pause individual products (for a variety of reasons) there's no reason why a Script shouldn't do this.  Using Scripts on large Shopping Campaigns also allows control over per item bidding according to performance metrics and I've found them to be very effective.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Jon, for your answer.

The first solution is not applicable because products to be stopped are a great number.

As for the script solution, unfortunately I have no experience with javascript...

I just need a very easy rule that pause product ids if they didn't have conversions in the last month, but automated rules for Shopping Campaigns are not working at product id level.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Alessandro,

Great advice from Jon. I ran into a similar issue where some of my products were not converting.

My approach was to group high and low ROAS (<$1) products together in in their respective category with bid adjustment. For example, my Beauty category has 2 product groups; Beauty - High performance and Beauty - Low Performance. My bid for low performing ad group is set to meet the minimum-bid requirement. As my objective is to still bring traffic to develop my audience segments which I can use later for bid adjustments.

The script would be awesome. I could work on one but will take some time. Would be very cool to work on, as I need this as well.

Are your product groups setup based on Brand or item id's?