AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Shopping Campaigns Painful Questions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I have a few questions. I have watched a lot of videos and also a lot of tricks. But yet I am confused with a few foundation based questions. They are as follows -

1. Feed Optimization - Can I change the Product Types, Categories? If So, How To Do It? Is there some special symbol which can be used to categorize products?

2. Feed Optimization - Do I need to change the content of the feeds? If so, then what should be the part of the content of those feeds?

3. How do Shopping Ads Work? Do they work on feed content or product groups or any other reason?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ChetanP
September 2015

Re: Shopping Campaigns Painful Questions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

1. You can change the product categories. The Google product categories are specific and you will need to use the Google product category taxnomy to find the right one relating to your products. The product type is up to you (usually based on the website category e.g. Speakers > Wireless Speakers).

2. Feed optimisation should be seen as an SEO task - you want the most relevant keywords in your feed. Try to utilise the character limits and make sure the important (most searched for) keywords are used at the beginning as they take precedents.

3. The data feed in merchant center has information which will link to the search terms used by people. Google will assess your data, linking keywords in your feed (along with the additional information to assess your relativeness) to know if it should show you or not.

Then to decide your importance it will assess the quality of data from the feed along with the CPC you are paying in your AdWords account (as part of your shopping campaign). There are other factors such as historical performance which is spectulated to help your feed quality, but Google is not very open at the moment with this kind of information.

Prioritise getting the right quality of data in your feed first, then you can play about with CPC bids.

Hope that helps. 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ChetanP
September 2015

Re: Shopping Campaigns Painful Questions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

1. You can change the product categories. The Google product categories are specific and you will need to use the Google product category taxnomy to find the right one relating to your products. The product type is up to you (usually based on the website category e.g. Speakers > Wireless Speakers).

2. Feed optimisation should be seen as an SEO task - you want the most relevant keywords in your feed. Try to utilise the character limits and make sure the important (most searched for) keywords are used at the beginning as they take precedents.

3. The data feed in merchant center has information which will link to the search terms used by people. Google will assess your data, linking keywords in your feed (along with the additional information to assess your relativeness) to know if it should show you or not.

Then to decide your importance it will assess the quality of data from the feed along with the CPC you are paying in your AdWords account (as part of your shopping campaign). There are other factors such as historical performance which is spectulated to help your feed quality, but Google is not very open at the moment with this kind of information.

Prioritise getting the right quality of data in your feed first, then you can play about with CPC bids.

Hope that helps.