AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Shopping Campaigns - Language Targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi.

I have a couple of issues about the Shopping Campaigns. We have now started migrating our campaigns from the old PLA's to the new Shopping and we have found 2 major drawbacks that I seem not to be able to find any information anywhere.

1 - Negative keyword adding through search term report.

It does not allow us, as in the old PLA to quickly add negatives through the search term report. By having to look at the search terms in Dimensions, download the terms on a .csv file, select the ones we want then uploading back onto keywords. This process is more time consuming, and it becomes an issue especially if you're managing several campaigns.

2 - Language targeting.

This has to be the major issue. The shopping campaigns only allow us to target a country by domain. It becomes an issue for us as we operate in countries like Switzerland, where there is more than one native language.

So our campaigns would be targeting the .ch domain, I tested this on the Ad Preview Tool and it is right. The problem is we cannot select which of our feeds to show based on the language of the user. Looking through Shopping on .CH you see a mixture of French and German ads. For us, which we always had separate campaigns for each language, one campaign would be targeted to French and another to German speakers, so our ads always show on the right language to the user, based on the language he chose in Google.

It would be interesting to hear if there is any way to get around this or if anyone faces a similar issue.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Craig B (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Shopping Campaigns - Language Targeting

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Hello Naim,

My name is Craig from Google AdWords and I am happy to help you in regards to your Shopping Campaign questions. In terms of adding the negative keywords, you cannot add negative keywords directly from the Search Terms Report on the Dimensions Tab but there is a workaround. You can use the account level view of the Keywords Tab, filter by the name of the Shopping campaign or ad group, and then add the negative keywords from there.

For language targeting within the Shopping Campaign, as a workaround you would want to upload unique feeds for the different languages within your targeted country and use custom labels to indicate the feeds language, for example "French" or "German". You would then want to setup a separate campaign for each language within the country and then create a campaign level filter or product group that just targets the specific custom label which allows you to target those languages specifically. We are constantly working to improve the campaign type and we have spoken with our product development teams about these requests. Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Best,

Craig

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Craig B (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Hello Naim,

My name is Craig from Google AdWords and I am happy to help you in regards to your Shopping Campaign questions. In terms of adding the negative keywords, you cannot add negative keywords directly from the Search Terms Report on the Dimensions Tab but there is a workaround. You can use the account level view of the Keywords Tab, filter by the name of the Shopping campaign or ad group, and then add the negative keywords from there.

For language targeting within the Shopping Campaign, as a workaround you would want to upload unique feeds for the different languages within your targeted country and use custom labels to indicate the feeds language, for example "French" or "German". You would then want to setup a separate campaign for each language within the country and then create a campaign level filter or product group that just targets the specific custom label which allows you to target those languages specifically. We are constantly working to improve the campaign type and we have spoken with our product development teams about these requests. Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Best,

Craig

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Craig,

it would be awesome if google could set the field language in the custom filter in the google shopping campaign setting. But you can not target after language, so the german promotion is shown to people looking in french or italian. So you should be also able to target the language.

Cheers,
Dom