AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Shopping Campaign "Everything else" segment receiving traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I work for a ecommerce company and we have the following Shopping Campaign structure:

1 campaign per department (Eletronics, Computers, etc)

1 adgroup per category (Laptops, Tablets, etc)

Many Product Criteria per ad group (we have 1 product criteria for each product)

We use the api to create the segment tree and we always set the "Everything else" segment to "Exclude", so we don't bid on it because we don't want to see traffic there.

Regardless of the "Excluded" setting, we are seeing traffic coming to the "Everything else" segment and this is hurting our performance.

We checked and nobody changed from "Excluded" to "Included".

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Shopping Campaign "Everything else" segment receiving tr

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Rodrigo,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

You have different adgroups for categories like Laptops, tablets etc. It means you are subdividing all products based categories, and then keeping one category in each ad group and excluding all other categories including 'everything else'.

But, as you have many departments, categories and adgroups, could you please confirm if you are subdividing all products by the same method all the time. I mean if you are subdividing by say 'brand', are you doing it for all adgroups?  Or your are subdividing by 'brand' in a few ad groups, and then by 'product type' in other ad groups?

If you use a uniform method to subdivide every time, there's no question 'everything else' will get impressions when excluded in all adgroups. 

'Everything else' can get impressions when you use multiple methods to subdivided across different ad groups. The reason is obvious that the products in 'Everything Else' will not be the same across adgroups in this case, and hence a few products can skip the exclusion. 

My two cents.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.