AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Shopping Campaign Traffic is Landing on Random Pages not Specified in Feed

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am only running a Shopping Campaign in AdWords (no search, display or remarketing) and have manually optimized and uploaded my feed via the Google Sheets add-on. For each product I have included the unique URL for the corresponding product page on our Ecommerce (Shopify) website (ie: https://bigislandbees.com/products/ohia-lehua-honey?variant=30512030340).

However, when I segment paid traffic from Google in Google Analytics and look at the landing page report, it shows that some traffic is landing on other pages from our ads such as home (/), blog posts or other irrelevant pages.

I'm concerned that I am paying for clicks leading to these irrelevant and unspecified pages. Obviously the paid traffic is bouncing off these pages and there have been no conversions from traffic landing on these random pages. I tried contacting AdWords support to see what they say about the issue and after nearly an hour on the phone, the support person in India could not grasp what my issue is.

Anyone else run into this before?

Thank you.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Susana,

Is Analytics connected to AdWords properly? In the AdWords section of Analytics the clicks and sessions should be roughly similar, say within 10-20% of each other.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

That does not sound correct, ads can only link to URL's you define in the data feed. So I'm guessing you are looking at it incorrectly. Maybe a screen shot and how you see your data will allow us to help ie : step by step what you click on and where you are looking at etc...

I'm confident that you are looking at data that also includes other sources.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, it appears to be. The information under Acquisition > Adwords is correct and the settings in AdWords "Linked Accounts" are accurate.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can see this data any number of ways...

1) Acquisition > Paid Search > Select "Source" tab > Click "Google" > Add secondary dimension: "Landing Page"

2) I have created a segment for Paid traffic from Google with source = Google & medium = paid (matches regex "^(cpc|ppc|cpa|cpm|cpv|cpp)$" ). Then if I look at the landing page report under Behavior > Site Content > Landing Pages the unintended pages appear there too

3) I have recently implemented my own custom UTM parameters for the Shopping Campaign and can find traffic landing on random pages under Acquisition > All Campaigns > My Campaign

There isn't a lot of traffic landing on these unspecified pages, but I don't think we should be paying for any so I would like to figure out whether these reports are accurate or why they wouldn't be.

Thanks,

Susana

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

just a side note that mywebsite.com/product-a

is not an example of a valid link landing-page;

the link landing-page url must contain the full

rfc-3986 uri -- including either http or https --

of the claimed domain, without any redirects.

for example:

http://www.example.com/product-a

always verify the processed data by inspecting

both the products-feeds processing-tab and all

final-attributes, after processing, by clicking on

the item's title under the products-list-tab.

also, be certain that the website can properly handle,

and does not redirect to any pages, when random url

parameters are added to the submitted link url value --

some websites cannot properly handle tracking or may

redirect users to other pages, for example.

posting more specific, exact, information, here in the public forum,
such as exact screen-captures of exactly what is being seen, final
attributes within the products-list-tab, the exact, specific attributes
and values being submitted for one or two items possibly related
to the issue, a url-link to a *read-only* version of the specific data/

spreadsheet being submitted, etc., may allow other forum-members

to offer more specific suggestions.

otherwise, the best likely course is to contact google.

Re: Shopping Campaign Traffic is Landing on Random Pages not Specified in Feed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you @Celebird for your suggestions. This is my first time posting here and I've updated my original post with an actual example of the Link Attribute URL (including the https).

Here is a screenshot of the list of landing pages listed in GA for AdWords recent traffic. The highlighted rows are examples of traffic landing on pages other that the ones defined in the product feed...

adwords-landing-pages.jpg

The source "adwords" comes from the custom UTM parameters that were added a few weeks ago, but the same results can be seen in an earlier date range when the source was still labeled the default "google" instead of the custom "adwords".

In other words, the screenshot data is taken from

Acquisition > Paid > Click on Source Tab > Select "adwords"

and the issue also exists under

Acquisition > Paid > Click on Source Tab > Select "google"

which is where the data resides on Google Shopping traffic prior to implementing the custom UTM parameters.

I should also add that this is a Shopify site so I know of no problems handling parameters and the variation information in the Link Attribute URL is needed to arrive at the specific product in the ad with the price listed in the ad.

You can also view the product feed in Google Sheets here.

I verified in Merchant Center under the Products > List that each product is showing the correct URL attribute there (the information matches the product feed).

My feeling is that the data must be inaccurate in GA because as @Emmanuel F stated: supposedly ads can only link to URL's you define in the data feed. And based on the responses here in this forum, others don't seem to be running into this issue. However, if that is the case, I'd like to understand what could cause GA to report this type of inaccurate data.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Thank you,

Susana

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

You aren't the only one:

https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/ecommerce-discussion/t/why-i-see-checkout-contact_information-as-lan...

I think the problem is a Shopify one and you are more likely to get answers there.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I checked some of my clients, and I have the same. Do note that text ads, ad extensions etc... will all be listed here. As you are selecting the source all paid, that is what you see.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’