AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5K members online now
5K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Shopping Campaign Optimization Issue

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I have a particular client wherein -

All product groups were added into one adgroup. The product groups were categorized by Brand. The client wants to build product groups at brand level only.

Now  - What I did is i segregated all brands into different adgroups. Is this a right approach? I added other brands as negatives to that adgroup to avoid cross triggering amongst brands.

Result - My sales have dipped from 15 a day to 1 a day. Any ideas what I should do?

Also should i keep the max cpc above the benchmark cpc?

I need this sorted out.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ChetanP
September 2015

Re: Shopping Campaign Optimization Issue

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Here's the explanation in image format now Smiley Happy -

Brand 1 Ad Group will look something like the image below. Only Brand 1 is enabled, rest is excluded -

brands.png

Similarly for Brand 2 adgroup, only Brand 2  will be enabled, rest will be excluded.

Finally, on the current structure, you will have one adgroup where Everything Else in All Products will be enabled and rest be exlcuded.

Does that make things clear Chetan?

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi ChetanP,

You have sub-divided product group based on brand, I could understand that but when you said you have created separate ad groups for each brand and then you are using negatives, it confuses me. 

If you want to have different brand in different ad groups, you can get ahead to subdivided all products by brand and then get ahead to exclude brands that you don't need in that ad group. Let me exemplify it -  

Suppose you have many brands viz. A, B, C, etc. You can create an adgroup for Brand A, subdivided all products by brand, bid for Brand A, and exclude all others. Likewise, create an adgroup B, subdivided all products by brands, bid for Brand B, and exclude all others, you can continue this for all brands. 

This way, you won't be required to add any negatives as all your ad groups will have only one active brand, and rest excluded. 

Does that make sense?

Thanks
Ratan Jha

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Ratan,

Thanks for your reply.

Check My Reply In Blue

You have sub-divided product group based on brand, I could understand that but when you said you have created separate ad groups for each brand and then you are using negatives, it confuses me. 

So let me give you an example - Suppose I am selling shoes of different brands, what I have done is I have added Adidas, Reebok &  Fila Adgroups (The list is very huge, Consider these 3 for now.) What I have done is I have added the adidas product group in adidas adgroup. I have added reebok and fila as negatives in adidas adgroup.

Suppose you have many brands viz. A, B, C, etc. You can create an adgroup for Brand A, subdivided all products by brand, bid for Brand A, and exclude all others. Likewise, create an adgroup B, subdivided all products by brands, bid for Brand B, and exclude all others, you can continue this for all brands. 

Yes I have already done this. I have excluded "Everything Else In All Products" Is it right?

Thanks,

Chetan.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Chetan,

For the first thing, why to keep differernt brands in different ad groups when they are already separated by product groups already? Remember, it has no effect on performance.

Anyway, so I have understood your campaign strucure well.

Let's take first adgroup A for example. You subdivided all products by brands, so you have all brands in this adgroup A viz. A, B, C etc. Now here, bid for only for A brand group, and select 'Excluded' for others including b, c, and everything else. You can do this by individually clicking the Max CPC. column and selecting 'Exclude'. This way you will have one Prodcut Group A enabled and rest of all excluded.

There's no need to use any negative to exlude any specific brand here, you will be enabling one brand in each adgroup, hence they would be excluded already.

Could you understand that?

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

If you say it doest affect the performance. Will it bring down my performance at all?

Also is it fine if I have added Reebok As A Product Group In Reebok Adgroup And Have Excluded Everything Else?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Chetan,

What I meant is if you seperate shopping campaing into several adgroups, it is not going to affect performance. (Edit) More precisely, it is not going to have an added advantage.

@ChetanP wrote:

Also is it fine if I have added Reebok As A Product Group In Reebok Adgroup And Have Excluded Everything Else?

Everything Else - what do you mean by it? 'Everything else' is also a product group that comes by default if your subdivision method leaves a few products.

What I mean is - only and only reebok product group should be enabled in reebok adgroup, nothing else. If you hae set up this structure now, you are good to go, let it run for a few days.

Also, when you pause an already-performing campaign/adgroup and start a new one instead, this new one takes a few days to start performing naturally. Why? Becuase system has no historical performance clue for this new campaign.

All thest best!

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

With Everything Else I meant the image given below -

Screenshot_1.jpg

I hope now its clear with you what I meant. Do I need to exlcude this. Its very confusing right now for me. Can you please give me real simple answers with small lines of descriptions and a yes or a no, if this has to be excluded. I am no ecommerce marketeer. I am only into Leadgen. So if you let me know that is it right approach to exclude Everything else?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ChetanP
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Here's the explanation in image format now Smiley Happy -

Brand 1 Ad Group will look something like the image below. Only Brand 1 is enabled, rest is excluded -

brands.png

Similarly for Brand 2 adgroup, only Brand 2  will be enabled, rest will be excluded.

Finally, on the current structure, you will have one adgroup where Everything Else in All Products will be enabled and rest be exlcuded.

Does that make things clear Chetan?

Thanks
Ratan Jha

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Now here is one more question why do I need to create another adgroup with everything else in all products? And if i dont create it will it create any problems.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

No, no problem at all. If you want to run ads also for it, you can, otherwise not required.

Thanks
Ratan Jha