AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Shopping Campaign - Broad Mis-Match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Anyone else experience "broad match" abuse in Shopping campaigns?  Example:  I have very targeted well written (for consumers) product pages for a group of "dog car seats" and filtered in 150 product targets into an ad group.  The dollars WASTED on search terms not even close to my product line is despicable!  Here are some keywords which have cost me clicks...  

"plastic fence cream color"

"seats upfront"

"dog baskets for bikes"

"teacup puppy purse"

"window hammock small dogs"

Google support confirms my filters are correct and the only advice is to use negative keywords.  How is anyone going to protect their ad dollars by predicting negative keywords like those above?  It's unrealistic.  How is it that those same keywords provide stellar results in "organic" searches fine-tuned to the user, but advertisers get taken advantage of with search matches that are way too broad.  This drives cost/conversion through the roof - needlessly! 

What are others experiencing or doing to combat this waste?    

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John G
April 2017

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

First, you need to make sure that the product title perfectly describes the product accurately. Than Google uses your title to create a match list. If you find allot of irrelevant keywords than you need to setup a multi campaign setup.

Campaign 1 : Priority settings high, add negative keywords that you want to target, here you can bid 0.01

Campaign 2 : priority settings medium, all negative keywords added in campaign 1, will end up in here. Here you can bid higher

This is what you need to do to target specific search terms.

Hope it helps

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

How have you structured your product categories? 

Tom

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Hey John,

broad match alone can be this tricky. I rather use mostly modified broad match instead of broad match itself, so I have better control over possible search terms. Use broad match keywords mostly and maybe only as research tool for a new keywords/negative keywords, especially with lower budget.

Tomáš

Re: Shopping Campaign - Broad Mis-Match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
How do you change the match type for Shopping ads? Google support says it
can't be done.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John G
April 2017

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

First, you need to make sure that the product title perfectly describes the product accurately. Than Google uses your title to create a match list. If you find allot of irrelevant keywords than you need to setup a multi campaign setup.

Campaign 1 : Priority settings high, add negative keywords that you want to target, here you can bid 0.01

Campaign 2 : priority settings medium, all negative keywords added in campaign 1, will end up in here. Here you can bid higher

This is what you need to do to target specific search terms.

Hope it helps

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Oh, shopping campaigns. Sorry, missed that part. Then you should segment your campaigns like Emmanuel said. Keep the broadest search terms in one campaign and bid low and all product/brand specific search terms send with a help of negative keywords to another campaigns and bid a little higher.

And of course, any not even remotely relevant search terms exclude with negative keywords.

Tomáš