AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Search volume and performance estimates for Google Shopping

Rising Star
# 1
Rising Star

Greetings all,

I was talking today with a Google rep about Keyword Planner and Google Shopping and the rep confirmed that Keyword Planner does not provide estimates for Google Shopping campaigns.

I'm curious to know what methods other agencies/advertisers use to estimate search volume and performance estimates (e.g. CTR and CPCs) for Shopping campaigns.

I know that once a campaign is active I can use benchmark data to get a sense for how a client is doing, but that doesn't help me when I need to put together estimates for new campaigns.

Thanks!

John

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi John,

I presume that most people get to Google Shopping via a regular Google search - so using the Keyword Planner gives a good figure. 

Also, because of the nature of Google Shopping, generally you submit your entire product list. So there's no decisions to be made (besides bids), and it is what it is.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Rob,

You're right that the vast majority of the search traffic that triggers Shopping ads comes via the SERP.

That said, I don't know how to estimate how much of the traffic that Google estimates for specific keywords is eligible to trigger Shopping ads. Also, CTR and CPC for Shopping campaigns can vary significantly from those for Search Network only campaigns.

I often work with ecommerce leads who are interested in running Shopping campaigns but want a sense for what performance might be before they commit to working with an agency. In that scenario it's vital to have some way to pull decently accurate estimates specific to the search terms that would trigger their products. Same thing for an existing client who is considering adding a new product line and wants a sense for how Google Shopping might perform.

Best,

John

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Currently there is no official tool that can do what you want.

I know semrush is trying to do something, but have not used it yet as it does not provide much data and not on allot of search terms.

I wish you luck in finding something, if you do know. Post it here as it will help others on the community.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Thanks, Emmanuel. I'll definitely let you know if I find a tool/solution.

Best,

John