AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Search term: non-standard characters

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

A search term has been attached to the account (Adwords Shopping Campaign) recently and includes non-standard characters "...800 * 800" (yes, the asterisk). So, how do I add as a negative term, if I am prevented from adding non-standard characters myself? Is it possible? If not, surely they shouldn't be be applied either? Also, I'm not charged for this, am I?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Search term: non-standard characters

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Lan,

I will recommend to use all special character in negative keywords once you will include then your ads will not appear on non-standard characters keywords.

Thanks,
Anand

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Anand, I cannot add special characters as negative keywords, for Adwords Shopping Campaigns. That's my point. A special character has been used to display my ad, my ad. was then clicked and charged for (not completely sure), but, I cannot remove or exclude the search term. That's why I'm here. To find out if others are seeing this sort of thing and if so, how to deal with it. Is this just some type of bug? Is the system broken?

Thank for your reply though Anand.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello,

The following characters are not valid within Google advertising for keywords
, ! @ % ^ * () = {} ; ~ ` <> ? \ |

So if these are in your titles, they will be ignored in search queries.

I recommend to add a negative keyword of phrase 800 800
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Emmanuel. I'll check my "titles", but, I don't understand why my ad. can be triggered with non-standard characters, when I cannot include non-standard characters, with negative keywords. How can I prevent this then? Doesn't make sense at all. Seems, well, just not fair. Still not sure if I'm actually charged for the click. It says I have been, of course.

No one else experiencing this?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Google Merchant titles can have any valid characters and special characters.
Google Adwords does not match any characters listed in the previous message.

I recommend to simply look at your search terms and you will notice non of the special characters are matched.

Thus saying simply add "800 800" as the negative keyword if that is your intention.

Hope it helps.
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hmm, OK, I'll give it a shot. Not going to accept this as a solution, yet. Let you know how it goes. Again, thanks Emmanuel.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
search-terms and negative-words are not the same.

search-terms are what a user types to trigger an ad.

negative (key) words are the words or phrases that google uses
to prevent a product-listing-ad from showing with a search-term.

in most cases, negative-words without special-characters will stop
search-terms with ignored special-characters, from triggering ads.

of course, the results depend on details such as the
negative-match-type used, campain specifics, etc.