AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Search Terms not Triggering PLAs on SERPs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We're having a few problem with our PLAs.

We have a shopping campaign which is running but unfortunately it is not displaying the products as we would like.

First of all. Our ads aren't really showing up at all.

For instance, let's say we sell t-shirts.

We're typing in t-shirts and our ads aren't showing.

We will then type t-shirts + local area and some of our ads show up.

Then we type brand + t-shirts + local area and most of our ads show up.

What we want to do is show up for more generic terms. We're bidding really high but this doesn't seem to be making any sort of difference?!?!

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Kind regards,

D

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Search Terms not Triggering PLAs on SERPs

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

I would suggest optimizing your data feed with more detailed information in terms of title and description and other important attributes. 

Also, look at the  Benchmarking data available for the Shopping campaigns like Benchmark CTR and benchmark max. CPC to understand how other advertisers have been doing and where you have the scope of improvement.You can also use Bid simulator for individual product and make the adjustments accordingly. More details are here:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3455573?hl=en

You can also review the Search terms report and see what the users are actually typing in to reach your PLA ads.

Let us know if this helps!

Pankaj

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Hello Dale B,

from my experience general search queries do not work that well with PLAs.

1. General search queries like - tshirt, red tshirt do not bring high relevant product ads, because there can be thousands of products that match these search queries, but there are only few that might be actually something your customer wants.
  2. Therefore avg. CPCs are usually lowest in this sector, because other advertisers noticed that cost/conversion for general queries is usually not acceptable. So other advertisers either leave these search queries or only bid very low - to be effective.

What you can try is to mention the actual keyword t-shirt in product title and product description to increase relevance.

What is your search impression share and search lost is(rank) for these specific products/overall?

Alex

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
What I have done is created two ad groups. One with negative exact generic keywords. Than another which is more precisely excluded.

You will find that the ad group where you have excluded the generic keywords will perform at a higher CTR and impression compared to the one with generic keywords.

As Alex mentioned generic keywords are a waste of budget. Try to focus on keywords that sell and exclude junk.

It's hard to manage doing it my way, but it works.

I changed a campaign that had 1.2% CTR to 5.8% with this method.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think it may be an actual issue with the configuration.

We're only targeting our local area, but i know 100% that there is alot of search traffic as we run PPC text ad campaigns with the same targeting

When i spoke to Google help, they said that it was no longer possible to bid for search terms on the SERP homepage, is that correct?

Our impression share of our PLA campaign is 56.67% but i'm not sure if this only applies to the shopping channel specifically.

I actually think there must be something up now because even when we type in our branded products they are not showing up and we are bidding 4 times more than the recommended bid!

Thanks,

D

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

bump.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

There might be allot of issues at play. Not sure what it could be. Also searching for your own products can create a negative effect as your ranking will be influenced. I currently have some clients not performing great in conversions but the CTR is above 3%

I suggest you give Google Adwords a call if you need to information.
Or a Google Shopping Consultant to figure out what needs improving.

It could even be something with your datafeed or changes due to the new categories that in place recently.