AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Script or way to easily divide by Product ID

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for an easy way or a script to deal with high volume Shopping Accounts. I'm managing a 60k+ products, and to help our bidding management system, I'd like to have every product "subdivided".

Right now it looks like this :

Campaign by Device > All Products > Brand Product Groups (bidding at this level mainly).

I would like it to be like this : Campaign by Device > All Products > Brand Product Groups > Item ID (bidding at this level).

When you have thousands of brands and even more products, it can get quite tedious to do it manually.

Any recommendations ?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @sebastien c I use scripts to manage bidding at the item id level, but I've not looked at how to control the split using a script, at the moment I do this manually (and yes, it's a pain).  Looking through the Script references, it looks like this should be possible now using the ProductGroupBuilderSpace method, but I'll need to experiment before I can give a firm answer.

So, to be clear, you'd like a script that can be pointed at a Shopping Campaign, then will subdivide the products in that Campaign by brand as the first level, then by Item ID, yes?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Jon,

Thank you for the reply.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Brands could either be at Adgroup or Product Group level, what matters is that all product IDs are singled out (so the bidding tool I'm using can bid in a granular way).
I've heard there could be limitation as to how many 'subdivisions' can be done for a single adgroup/product group, do you know more about that ?

Thank you !
Sébastien.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @sebastien c you can have up to 20,000 Product Groups per Ad Group, so if you've got 60,000 products you'll need at least 3 Ad Groups, though this may not be necessary if you've already split by Campaign to some extent, etc.

I'll admit I'm not as confident as I was in my first reply.  It seems the tools are there to create brand groups and child items, but not to retrieve that data from the feed.  So you can create a Brand subdivision if you already know the name of the brand, but you can't ask for a list of brands in the feed and create from that.  Let me do some checking and get back to you.  If you don't hear from me in a few days, bump this thread!

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Jon (and anyone who wants to help)

Bumping the thread, did you manage to find a way to do it ?

Ultimately, the issue with brands can be overlooked, as I can just do this part manually. We don't get new brands every week.

Also, you mentioned a maximum number of products per adgroup, so I might have to do 1 adgroup by brand anyways since for now I only have 6 campaigns, all containing all the products (1 per device + 1 per device with brand as a negative kw)

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @sebastien c I'm pretty much where I was in my last message, unfortunately.  It seems like it could be possible, but I'd need some more time to experiment.  It would certainly (appear) to make things easier if the script starts with the assumption that all Brands are already split out.

Do you see a lot of benefit in splitting your Campaigns the way you describe?  I'm cautious of such splits since unless you have a lot of conversions per day, you end up diluting your conversion data to a point where it stops being statistically relevant.  I'm much more interested in splits by location, which can give dramatic results, but you need the conversion numbers to make decent decisions there.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Honestly, I don't know. 

I wanted to try it this way because I noticed the Bidding Tool I'm using now only modifies bid based on Product Group level (which is the brand) since my campaigns are not split yet, and I found it to be too broad. Wanted to gain some granularity but you might be right.