AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Same keyword in shopping and search campaigns

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Everyone

Greetings. Can you please help me understand if using same/similar keywords in a search campaign as well as in Google shopping campaign trigger 'rivalry' between the two OR have any effect on performance of both or one campaign? 

Thanks in advance

Ajay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ajay S
September 2015

Re: Same keyword in shopping and search campaigns

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Ajay,

My pleasure Smiley Very Happy

It is not essential to do so, no. There are cases, my experience included, where the conversions and ROI on Shopping Campaigns have well exceeded that of normal ad campaigns and those campaigns have been reduced in terms of spending, simply as they were poorly performing. However, returned enough profit to remain a viable ad. This allowed for the excess budget to be spent elsewhere. 

If your ad's are playing a turnabout game, then I wouldn't suggest you initially stop a campaign in preference to another, or alternatively make any major changes.

The content of your data feed must remain within the policy and regulations and has to represent the item accurately. It is most likely returning with results for things such as brand, title, model number etc.. 

Search ad's can open up a range of opportunity to include searches for alternative brands of similar products 

For instance, your Shopping ad for an iPhone is most likely to only return for searches relating to the iPhone. However, if you used your Search ads to gain traffic from "iPhone alternative" this could provide a different avenue of traffic.

Most importantly, if both ad methods are offering a profitable return, I would suggest making small changes and monitor the effects and see if it would indeed be beneficial to allocate a higher spend to one or the other. 

Hope that makes sense.

Tom Wilson
Freelance Adwords & Google Shopping Consultant

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Ajay

Shopping Campaigns do not run on Keywords, it relies on the contents of your feed, bid, daily budget and any negative keywords you create within the Shopping Campaign.

Any keyword you have within two different campaigns, would in effect battle against each other, potentially increasing your CPC, however, as said, within a Shopping Campaign, you would not have this with keywords.

That said, ensure if you create ad groups within your Shopping Campaign you do not have the same item within more than one ad group to avoid a similar problem. 

Tom Wilson

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you Tom for answering, the counter question would be if the performance of the similar products are effected, as in say product A is doing well in Shopping but not no much in search or vice-versa?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Ajay,

It could be possible you are losing search performance through the option of clicking the select few "shopping ads" shown on the organic results page or by users choosing to search through shopping results rather than click on a text ad initially.

Alternatively, it may simply be that the information found within the feed allows your item to be closely matched to user searches, more so than the keywords or ad content of your search ad's or vice versa.

If you find this is the case, you can choose to alter your bids either within the shopping campaign or within your search ad's for that particular product, enabling both to still be viewable, so as to not lose traffic altogether from both sources.

Tom Wilson

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes Tom that's exactly the case, two (search and shopping) never do equally well together, its always one today and the other tomorrow kind of game. Does your answer suggest that in case of highly matching feed info to the keywords in search would mean we have to decide and pick one as the flagship campaign while restricting the other to the second fiddle's role? That's logical to me if you mean that. Appreciate you spending time to answer me Tom, thanks a lot.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ajay S
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Ajay,

My pleasure Smiley Very Happy

It is not essential to do so, no. There are cases, my experience included, where the conversions and ROI on Shopping Campaigns have well exceeded that of normal ad campaigns and those campaigns have been reduced in terms of spending, simply as they were poorly performing. However, returned enough profit to remain a viable ad. This allowed for the excess budget to be spent elsewhere. 

If your ad's are playing a turnabout game, then I wouldn't suggest you initially stop a campaign in preference to another, or alternatively make any major changes.

The content of your data feed must remain within the policy and regulations and has to represent the item accurately. It is most likely returning with results for things such as brand, title, model number etc.. 

Search ad's can open up a range of opportunity to include searches for alternative brands of similar products 

For instance, your Shopping ad for an iPhone is most likely to only return for searches relating to the iPhone. However, if you used your Search ads to gain traffic from "iPhone alternative" this could provide a different avenue of traffic.

Most importantly, if both ad methods are offering a profitable return, I would suggest making small changes and monitor the effects and see if it would indeed be beneficial to allocate a higher spend to one or the other. 

Hope that makes sense.

Tom Wilson

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes the searches are relating to or accompanied by brand names in over 70% of the cases. Yes there are returns in both kinds (though shopping campaigns are doing way better than search) Your last para in particular- i will make small changes and notice how they go. Thank you again Tom, appreciate it.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni

You're very welcome. 

Let me know how it goes and if you need any further guidance. 

Best of luck.

Tom Wilson

If you find this or other response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Certainly Tom. Let the testing begin!