AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Restructuring Shopping Campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All!

I have a long overdue restructure of a Shopping campaign that I'm about to get started with and am looking for some advice from experienced Shopping campaign heads. All input is welcome!

I say long overdue not because the campaign is performing poorly,  but quite the opposite - It's the highest revenue and ROAS campaign in the account, but is structured with 50 - 100 products per ad group so I believe there is a good opportunity to improve performance with much smaller ad groups of, say, 4 to 10 products to allow more granular bidding. I'm also considering using labels with corresponding bid modifiers.

So basically my plan is to use these smaller ad groups to group products of similar value, then use labels to increase bids for 'best sellers' and decrease them for 'low value' products.

Short and sweet... that's the plan! As said, all and any input is welcome.

Also, this is a campaign with 3 years of solid performance - Should I restructure in a new campaign or create the new AGs and pause the old AGs in the existing campaign?

Cheers,

Jeff

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeff P
March 2017

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Sometimes breaking things down too granular makes it hard to make bidding decisions.  You may find when you drop down to 4-10 products per ad group, there isn't enough traffic in some ad groups to provide enough data to make decisions.  

I'd recommend identifying what your top products are, and breaking them out into a top products campaign.  For the others, just subdividing the existing ad group by product groups, brands, or custom labels will probably do the trick.

You'll probably find a small percentage of your products drive the bulk of your revenue.  This is normal.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

New campaign versus using the existing one has the benefit of easily seeing the difference when comparing data on the campaign level. However this can also be done at the ad group level.

So there is no real disadvantage or advantage in making this change.

Each merchant, agency or freelancer will do things differently and there is no right or wrong on the current situation you are presenting.

My opinion, I would create a new campaign. Again, there is no right or wrong, there will be no negative effect.

Hope it helps

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeff P
March 2017

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Sometimes breaking things down too granular makes it hard to make bidding decisions.  You may find when you drop down to 4-10 products per ad group, there isn't enough traffic in some ad groups to provide enough data to make decisions.  

I'd recommend identifying what your top products are, and breaking them out into a top products campaign.  For the others, just subdividing the existing ad group by product groups, brands, or custom labels will probably do the trick.

You'll probably find a small percentage of your products drive the bulk of your revenue.  This is normal.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Would it have any negative impact on the performance if during the reconstruction of shopping campaign they would be transferred to a completely new account? Or as long as I use similar bids the account should quickly get similar amount of traffic? Also is there any benefit in having shopping, search and display campaign within one or separate accounts? We advertise in several countries and for reporting it would be easier for me to have shopping, search and display campaigns in separate accounts (under one MCC), however I just want to make sure I am not over-complicating the whole structure.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

1) When changing anything in your campaigns, you will see a data change which can have an effect of up to 7 to 14 days

2) Having multiple accounts for 1 business website is not a good idea, as this can lead to double serving or unintentional double serving and get your account suspended and all future accounts. So keep everything in 1 account.

3) You can create reports and even use Google Data Studio to create your desired reports

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

You will have an immediate impact on performance if you move to a completely new account.  Your conversion history will be lost, and the Google Shopping quality score prefers product groups most likely to convert.  This can be good or bad depending on whether or not your campaign was converting well. 

It will most likely take a while to rebuild momentum in the newly created account, but Q1 is the perfect time to make such a change, as shopping is generally slow.  Not a great idea if Valentines Day is a major holiday for you.

Separating Shopping, search and display into separate accounts is common, and helps for organization.  As long as there is no overlap, you won't compete with yourself, and there should be no issues.