AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Restricted Products, Why?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I've noticed that fireworks are a restricted product, except in Japan where it is permitted.

In Japan, Google allows the promotion of recreational fireworks as long as they've passed inspections conducted by the Japan Pyrotechnics Association.

In the UK the firework industry is very heavily regulated all fireworks are tested to conform to BS Safety rules and in 2017 all fireworks will have to carry the CE mark or aproval. Anyone selling fireworks has to be licensed with additional licenses are required to sell them all year. If you ship them you have to use a licensed carrier and have a packing certificate to re-pack the fireworks in UN cartons.

Can anyone answer why Google allows fireworks to be advertised in Japan but not in the UK?

As a reputable seller myself with all the relevant licenses in place its a real shame we can't offer this additional service to our customers.

Even Amazon allow us to sell fireworks now.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Restricted Products, Why?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Mark;

A few points here: 

As for standardization: we should distinguish between standardization,  regulation, and auditing /inspection. (A side note: Unlike a BS standard,  a CE  mark,   is not really a standard, but rather a "manufacturer self certification/ declaration of compliance", while a BS standard is checked by independent 3rd body.)

The BS standard covers the specification of the products, while  the "Japan Pyrotechnics Association" audits / inspects  the processes and compliance of  seller to both product specifications, and regulations.  This is a major distinction.

Is there in the UK an equivalent body to the "Japan Pyrotechnics Association" which audits / inspects or regulates the seller?

If there was - we would refer the case to Googlse Policy, asking to revisit the issue;

-Moshe

@joshuasingh 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Did my reply post? darn, looks like my reply didn't post. Smiley Sad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply. I'm not up to scratch on what the licensing requirements are for Japan so I can't comment on whether the UK has similar or more stringent checks in place, however.

Sellers are regulated in the UK. The HSE (Health and Safety Executive) Explosives Division has overall control, but each seller has to obtain a license from their local authority to store and sell fireworks. Checks are carried out by enforcement officers on premises to ensure that the regulations are being adhered to.

The application process and regulations are set to become a lot stricter this year with additional checks being put in place on sellers, I can't divulge these at the moment as they have not been released (I sit on one of the advisory boards) but the industry is to become even more regulated.

I suppose in Google's eyes though there is still nothing to stop 'joe bloggs' getting hold of a load of fireworks, storing them illegally, packing them in plain boxes and then shipping them with an unlicensed carrier?

What would be nice is if Google could ask for proof of your legitimacy to sell fireworks as per the regulations and as for copies of your certificate to store fireworks, your certificate to sell fireworks all year, a copy of your packing certificate from the VCA that says you are licensed to pack fireworks in to specified UN cartons for shipment and may be even a letter from a licensed carrier to say that you have an account with them to ship UN0335 & UN0336, but I suppose with the millions of companies that Google deals with the above scenario is asking a little too much?

What would google really like to see?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
OK;
I see your point. I will refer the discussion to Google.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Did you hear anything back?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
@Mark;
I was informed that the case was escalated to the relevant team within Google. Let me check if there was any reply internally. (wthinin Google).

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee
The Google Shopping program is managed by a set of policies which we develop based on several factors, including user and customer experience and legal considerations. We review our policies regularly and make changes to keep them current and effective. Our goal is to have policies that are fair, consistent, and adaptable. Thank you for your interest in this issue and sharing your thoughts with us. Your feedback is important and helpful to us as we work to keep our policies effective and fair.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree with Mark's concerns.

My case is a little different, In my case I sell fireworks from a physical (Brick and motar) shop (in the United States). I do not ship fireworks or sell online. However, I get put into the same category. I cannot advertise the fact that I have a "brick and motar" fireworks stand once a year. Something seems wrong with that picture. Everyone (newspapers, local publications, billboards, even the millitary base) let me advertise with them, but not search engines. 

The Fireworks that I sell are imported and thus are regulted at the border by the Federal Government, they then are regulated when they enter my state (according to my states local guidelines). Once they reach my wholesaler (who is licensed by the state) I purchase them. But I am not done, the county that I am in also regulates the type of fireworks I can sell, and so does the City. My facilities (along with my wholesalers facilities) are regulalry inspected by State and City firemarshals who have to sign off on our permits. 

My business is completely legal and complies with all guidlines. But because I have fireworks in the name of my business. I cannot advertise it. 

Walmart sells firearms, and they can advertise. 

Mini-marts sell Tabacco and they can advertise. 

My shop sells fireworks but I cannot advertise. 

Seems odd, don't you think?

-Mike

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Mark and Mike;

With the coming changes to Google's advertising Policy, fireworks will be banned globally. No exceptions;

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6014299

I hope Google will be able to effectively enforce  the  change.

@joshuasingh