AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Removing a Historical Data Feed - Replacing with Google Spreadsheet

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! 

We recently took over managing a Shopping campaign where the data feed was managed through a file upload on the client's site via a .txt file. There were some formatting errors from this file that were causing some issues, so I recommended moving to a Google Spreadsheet Data Feed (we initially updated the data feed using a Google Spreadsheet but the client decided to upload the .txt version of the file to the website instead). I would prefer to manage via the Google Spreadsheet, so my question is: will removing the historical .txt Data Feed file that has been running for years have any adverse effects when switching over to the newer, Google Spreadsheets Data Feed (the data feeds are both identical). I am just being a bit cautionary as the Shopping campaign is their main source of conversions at the moment. 

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Sounds like a good move to me, I always use a Google sheet as the feed when it's a manual, non-API feed into Google shopping.  As you note, easier to manage vs xml text.

You may have a few days delay in transition, while the new Google sheet feed is being manually approved by Google.  And there may be field mapping issues so be sure to keep an eye on the diagnostics messages in the Merchant Center. A lot of campaigns slow down on the weekend, perhaps cut it over on a Friday afternoon.  In my experience, some things DO happen with Google shopping approvals over the weekend. 

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

There will be no slow down if you keep the data information the same, it will be instantly. However you might get a warning saying duplicate ID's, you can ignore that if you have deleted the old data feed.

You can fix all your issues without any delays, however if you change allot of data this might cause google to re review your products or whole data feed, which in this case will cause a delay.

Do not do this in the weekend as reviewing product information or the whole data feed is only done in during work days. so changing it on a Friday will mean a potential delay of up to 5 days, while if you do it on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday it will be up to 3 days.

hope it helps

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’