AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5K members online now
5K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing in Shopping Campaigns

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have display remarketing campaigns running and they're awful. Is there something I am missing? I've watched a handful of videos where they talk about the significance of retargeting on shopping ads yet I'm just paying for 100% bounce rates. 

Campaign (over 6 day span): 

• 107K Impressions
  • 258 clicks
  • .16 avg cost
  • Extremely high bounce rate
  • Revenue: $0

I have targeted all website visitors from the past 30 days. I have excluded mobile apps from targeting and added a placement exclusion for adsense for mobile apps. Targeted demographic and the 6 largest cities my customers come from for geo (too broad)? My ads are showing I'm just not sure why the bounce rate is so high. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Remarketing performance can vary depending on the niche and products. If people are visiting your site looking for pink widgets, and you only sell yellow widgets, remarketing to them with a picture of a yellow widget won't create any sales for you.

It works best for products that people take their time to decide on.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I own a large apparel and jewelry company with hundreds of products. Is this not a niche that works for remarketing? 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

It depends. Apparel tends to only work in AdWords if you have known brand names. Bids for generic clothing keywords are usually very cheap because they convert poorly.

If you are selling expensive brand name watches, remarketing should work well. If you are selling $10 earrings, then remarketing to people who have already decided they don't want them is pointless.

Sometimes only remarketing to people who added products to the cart but didn't purchase, or people who looked at x number of pages, works. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

First analyze your attribution, if for example most sales are done within 3 days, than you should create a remarketing list that covers 7 days, not 30 days.

With remarketing you have to look at the direct sales, view through and overall campaign performance.

Compare the data when you had it disabled vs the data enabled and see how it has affected your overall account performance.

Singling out remarketing and looking at the data itself alone, is not the correct way to look at it.

A display ad can contribute sales via direct, in-direct, brand awareness, future sales (even months later) and so on.

All my clients enjoy a great benefit from remarketing, so I'm sure yours too if correctly setup and you look at the overall data. Especially for apparel or jewelry.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’