AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Registered Trademark Symbol in PLA?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anybody knows if it's possible to put the registered trademark symbol ®  into the product listing ad title and/or brand name? I understand the data feed isn't accepted if certain special symbols are used but I have tried putting the symbol in html as ® but to no avail. 

If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance.

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Registered Trademark Symbol in PLA?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Stephen

Special characters should be avoided. Including such characters such as ™ or ® for example can cause an error to be returned in your dashboard, similar to 

Encoding problem in attribute: description 
Some of the characters in your items seem to be invalid. Please verify all the characters in your feed are valid for your selected encoding. 

Encoding problem in attribute: title 
Some of the characters in your items seem to be invalid. Please verify all the characters in your feed are valid for your selected encoding. 

Is there a particular reasoning you wish to include this?

I personally strip special characters as it eleviates any problems arising in failure to process the feed. My concern is when processing an error caused by a special character could stop processing altogether, something I have witnessed personally, so make sure to alter the information where needed.

Tom Wilson
Freelance Adwords & Google Shopping Consultant

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My text ad had been flagged as as "approved, limited" because it mentions Hulu. My ad refers to the real Hulu. I am not trying to masquerade as some other Hulu. I could include a circle R to be more precise. That's why I want to include TM or circle R in my adwords text.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

this is a rather old thread.

if the approved-limited is due to trademark,
the trademark-owner must be contacted to
give permission to use their name.

symbols should never be used and does not
change the trademark policies with respect to
the ad -- use only the name and plain ascii text.

see also
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2562645
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager
This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.