AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Re: Automatic item disapprovals due to policy violation

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm running into the same problem, and I'm getting 1 to 3 auto policy disapprovals per day for the past couple of weeks. These are all products listed by us for as long as Google has had shopping (back to the Froogle beta days) and all have other sellers with identical text descriptions and the same photos. The red icon is not clickable, and the learn-more is not helpful. An example below, and you will easily see the ten sellers including PetSmart listing the product if you use for the title.oats.jpg

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Getting an initial approval does not mean you have followed the policy requirements. A violation can happen after initial approval even years later.

Comparing to other merchants does not mean you are following policies.

Make sure that you remove any claims or statements that are not scientifically proven and backed by a government body. Making claims or statements must be proven or else is deemed false information.

The claims and statements must be removed from both the website and data feed.

Hope this helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

One possibility... even though your site is obviously animal products, there are some trigger words that I believe Google looks for on your site

"weight loss"

"kilos"

"weeks"

"guaranteed"

"money back"

Sites selling weight loss products with combinations of the above regularly get suspended in AdWords.

Just a guess. Try asking AdWords Support.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

posting the specific learn-more link, here in public,

may allow others to offer more specific suggestions.

what may seem unhelpful often narrows the issue a bit;

if the information is overly general that may also be an

indicator that the disapproval is for multiple issues.

also, the red-icons may need to be hovered over, for

awhile, rather than a click, to display any messages.

also, check the diagnostics-tab for any drill-down, multiple, links --

if there are corresponding issues flagged under diagnostics, that

may indicate multiple issues, or issues on the website.

also, the ad-account, under the products-tab of

the shopping-campaign may show more details --

by adding the product-status column to the table.

otherwise, as was indicated, google may be contacted directly.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

My first guess was things like "provides a burst of healthy energy" - the problem is that the description/statement is from the manufacturer's label, and is used by all of the sellers on Amazon. It is even in the blurb posted in Shopping for the product. If the automated system suddenly took a dislike to this description, why not for all advertisers? This product is old as the hills, although it used to come in a can and now it comes in a bag. I've been selling it since 1978 (online since 1997) and I suspect it was around a few decades before that. 8-in-1 used to be a standalone pet brand, but is now owned by folks who own everything from Rayovac to Black and Decker to George Foreman grills. I'm comfortable that, if they are comfortable putting it on the label, it is going to pass inspection. You will find it in thousands of stores, and online everywhere from Google Shopping to Amazon to Walmart (meaning sold directly by both Amazon and Walmart, not marketplaces). Just seems to me that "automated" policies have become "arbitrary" policies.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

The page is long gone, because the product was removed from our daily feed immediately. Happily no new disapprovals since this one, but I'll see what the next one says.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Google has several review systems, manually, automatic, users. Comparing yourself with other merchants is not a valid way of checking if you are following policies.

Using data from the manufacturer does not mean you are following Google's policies.

Each marketplace, such as eBay, Amazon, Google, Etsy have their own policies. And if you want to submit products on these marketplaces, you must follow their specific policies or else be at risk of a suspension.

So I recommend, if you have not done yet, is to read all Google policies to make sure you are not in any more violations, as a suspension or disapproval can happen at any time, even years later.

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6363310

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/4752265

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6150151

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6149970?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Personally I find canned responses like this insulting. Either there is a policy that all sellers of this product are violating, or there is not (I suspect the latter). I have decades of programming experience, and I see this as just an example of programming a bot poorly so that it makes capricious decisions. I chose this one product as an example because it is such an innocuous one. No human would look at the listing and see a policy violation, but a poorly programmed bot would, and did.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Don,

Did you contact AdWords Support? That is far more likely to uncover the actual issue than asking us here - we can only guess. We don't work for Google.

It is not necessarily the product itself, but could be related to anything on your site. My guess and that of others is that it is most likely related to health claims on your site. 

It was highly unlikely to be caused by "provides a burst of healthy energy". 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

There are no site-wide health claims on my site..Period.  I'm not going to claim that I know for sure that there aren't some products with dubious claims; too many thousands of products there. I would expect, though that they would be the products banned, not some innocuous product. Of our products, more than 5000 remain active without apparent problems. In the past when something was banned, such as CBD products, I understood. Lately I just scratch me head. As with a large percentage of merchants Google has become less important to us than other venues, but we are reluctant to just let it go.