AdWords
4K members online now
4K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Query-Level Bidding In Google Shopping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

Since two weeks ago, we have set up 3 new Google Shopping Campaigns by following the instructions as per URL below. 

http://searchengineland.com/step-step-guide-query-level-bidding-google-shopping-228309#part2

The number of clicks we received after setting up the 3 campaigns were very little. Since one week ago, the number of clicks went down near zero everyday.

Please could someone let us know whether the setting suggested in this ' A Step-By-Step Guide to Query-Level Bidding in Google Shopping' works as we don't see the result yet for our online store product listings. The only step we didn't adopt as suggested is we didn't set up the Inventory filter under section  Shopping Setting (advanced) > Create a Customer filter. 

Besides using Google Shopping Campaign, what other advertising channels are  great to promote online store products, please ? Thanks.

Cheers

Fay 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Refisio,

There are many possible reasons for a lack of clicks on your products - here are a few of the main ones:

Are your products all approved? Look in the Merchant Centre

Are you bidding high enough? Raise your bids a little each day and you might find that one day you get a lot more clicks

How does your product look in the Google Shopping results? Does the title read nicely? Do the images look good?

Price - perhaps your price is too high compared with your competitors?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I can't speak for search engine land, and that looks like a fine tutorial.  However is appears to me to be an overly complex configuration to start a new campaign out with.  

I would just setup the Merchant Center with the products, then set the initial bids near the Benchmark CPC's.  You can layer in the ad groups after it's running.  Once you have a baseline, then you could experiment with some of the more advanced methods, and would have something to compare it to.

Perhaps Celebird, the resident Google Shopping "expert's expert" will weigh in.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply.

1) Yes, all the products have been approved by Google Merchant Centre

2) Regarding the bidding amount, they are sightly above the the Avg CPC.

3) Yes, the product listings should be ok. We have sold a few of them in the past under different Google Shopping Campaign.

What puzzle us is why the same products do not sell under this new GSC setting as suggested by SearchEngineLand?? Perhaps we should drop it and revert to the

'traditional & basic' setting that bring in sales.

4) Our product prices are competitive.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. Our bidding amounts are slightly higher than the Avg CPC.

"layer in the ad groups after it is running' , are you referring dividing listed products into small groups etc>

What are some of the other Advanced method please?

Cheers

Fay

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

yes, you can just build ad groups on the fly, with the campaign running, then setup your product groups within them. You can better control bidding by grouping similar products, or (e.g.) high margin products into their own ad groups. 

What are some of the other Advanced method please?

- running multiple "overlay" campaigns with different priorities, to better concentrate ad spend. There are 3 priorities in "Settings". 

- optimizing Title and Description text using SEO methods (keywords, keyword density)

- aggressive use of negative keywords

- splitting a campaign into multiple campaigns driven off the same feed, to better concentrate ad spend on the best converting products. Exclude products so that each campaign only concentrates on a certain group.  This gives you better ad spend control. 

The biggest problem in Shopping campaigns is ad spend going to the wrong stuff.  It can be like nailing jello to a wall, to fix it.

hth

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Fay,

I also followed the "Step-By-Step Guide to Query-Level Bidding in Google Shopping" (just set up now). What I cannot understand is the last campaign is to bid on queries related to the SKU (Stock Keeping Unit) of the products. The SKU  is not available on my e-commerce website so I went with another keyword that implied that the consumer is searching for that specific product and made by that manufacturer.

Is there really people searching on Google for the SKU of a product? 

If no then that strategy doesn't make sense.

Regards,

Xavier