AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Products Disapprovals - International

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I currently have 6 feeds live, the UK one is fine and no issues. Up until this week all the international feeds were fine:

USA

Canada

New Zealand

Australia

Germany

I've been using a backend extension called Data Feed Manage to allow me to pull out the right products with the correct currency format for each country.

The website has the facility for a user to select the currency view they wish to use. The Google currency conversion tool is also activated - as per Googles instructions of this tool, you do not need to have 6 versions of the same site in each currency. However I contacted Google and they advised that I need to have landing pages in each currency set for each product I advertise via Google Shopping regardless whether I'm using Google Currency Converter??? I am totally baffled by this as my colleague also called and was advised there was a blip in Google's automated service which is causing issues - so which is it? Is there anyone else out there having problems with currency? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sabina H
February

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 17
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK the solution has been discovered! I can submit multiple feeds per country - however in the settings I select the default currency and confirm I am happy to use Google to amend currency etc - this worked - the issue that it was still disapproving on price is simply due to the schema markup - it was set incorrectly by the web development company - after lots of discussions I have managed to explain how and where thye have gone wrong with this and fingers crossed have now sorted it! Many thanks for all you help :0)

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Celebird,

thanks for the reply - when speaking to Google support I was also advised that we are not able to use the functionality where our website can display prices based on the users IP, is this also correct? In which case how do I get the landing page to display in AUD if a user has clicked on an Australian Google Shopping ad?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Remove the plugin or script that changes the currency based on user location.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Emmanuel,

we don't have anything that changes the currency - please read my question again - what I'm asking is for a solution of how I can display the currency in the users location without using anything that would track the IP

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

If you want to use currency conversion system within Google Merchant, you can not use currency conversion on your website. How you explained your question you need to simply submit the same data feed to multiple target countries using the settings option of the submitted feed and Google will handle the rest. However if you have things that manipulate the landing page based on user location than it will be a violation. If you provide us with some product link examples, we might be able to check if there is anything wrong.

If you do not want to use currency conversion within Google merchant, than you need to setup a multi store within Magento and create a new store for each target country. Than have the language, grammar, prices, currencies and everything else for the target country. Than submit a unique data feed with the native language and pricing etc...

You can not use plugins to simply change the currency, because each price needs to be identical and it needs to be server side and not client side. Plugins will not be able to change the pricing server side.

I hope this is clear.

Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Emmanuel,

I think I'm not understanding this fully. all our feeds do not require translation as per English being a language used in the target location. When a user lands on the website it defaults to the UK currency - the drop down is available to them to show their currency - I appreciate I cannot use a plugin to amend the currency based on IP, hence why I haven't implemented this. What I don't understand is if I create my feeds I add the currency within the feed to fetch upon generation, then I submit to Google. So I guess what I'm asking is:

1) Do i remove all current legacy feeds to create new country based feeds and let Google decide, or

2) do I need to apply a unique url to each version of the currency product pages and submit these within the feed - if so, how?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Based on your further info, it looks like you have indeed not correctly set it up. Don't worry this is a common issue due to the wide range of policies and documentation. And for beginners this is a bit confusing what you need to do. I do however also recommend you read all policies to avoid any account suspensions. As you are advertising on Google Shopping you are required to know the policies and requirements.

If you submit unique data feeds for each country, the currency on the landing page needs to match that of the submitted currency and can not have a drop down to solve the issue. Because Google checks your website using bots, it can not click on a drop down menus to choose a different currency. So in this case you need to submit a unique url for the target country and product. As you are using magento, the fastest and easiest way to set this up is via multi store for each country and have everything match the target country, including grammar, currency etc...

If you are not able to do this, than login to Google Merchant and remove all feeds except the UK. Than go to settings and add the countries that you want to target. This is than using Google's native currency conversion.

Do note the available impressions between the two options is huge, don't expect great or any results when using Google's native currency conversion system. If you want to sell, than the only option is multi store with dedicated feeds.

Hope it helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I contacted the web company to implement the following script but they advised they have no idea where this location is to update it! It's Magento 1.9 by the way

copy the file:

app/code/Core/Mage/Core/Model/Url.php to app/code/local/Mage/Core/Model/Url.php

locate the method

setRoutesParams()

and add the below code at the beginning of the function :

if (!is_null($this->getRequest()->getParam('currency'))) {
if ($this->getRequest()->getParam('currency') != Mage::app()->getStore()->getCurrentCurrencyCode()) {
Mage::app()->getStore()->setCurrentCurrencyCode($this->getRequest()->getParam('currency'));
}
}

The beginning of the function should now look like :

// [...]
public function setRouteParams(array $data, $unsetOldParams = true) {

// the changes begin here
if (!is_null($this->getRequest()->getParam('currency'))) {
if ($this->getRequest()->getParam('currency') != Mage::app()->getStore()->getCurrentCurrencyCode()) {
Mage::app()->getStore()->setCurrentCurrencyCode($this->getRequest()->getParam('currency'));
}
}
// the changes end here

if (isset($data['_type'])) {
$this->setType($data['_type']);
unset($data['_type']);
}

//[...]

You can now use

?currency=currency_code 

I guess this would then fix the issue as per point 2?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

For Magento questions ether ask your web developer or ask on a Magento forum, this is not the right place for confirming coding. This forum is only to guide you in the right direction regarding Google Merchant and Google Adwords not specific ecommerce platform how to's

Hope it helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Firstly can I just make it clear - I do not and never will intend or consider using an IP locator to determine currency so please let's cut this off the initial query.

I have re-created the feeds to US, NZ, AU and CA - using GBP as standard currency and re-submitted as per the terms where Google advises if I maintain the default currency then I authorise Google to change this as per the target current of each feed. The new issues I am now getting (and I have followed Google's instructions as per the many phone calls and emails and they have confirmed I have set this up correctly!) it now states there is no shipping info and all prices are incorrect?