AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Product identifiers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have spent the good part of 2 hours trying every possible combination to upload my products to the google merchant centre.

However every single combo I use fails due to the dreaded "insufficient product identifiers: Missing GTIN attribute. 243 errors" I keep getting.

This is the most frustrating thing I have ever been through on the internet. I do not have GTINs, these are digital products that do not have. I have read all of the help articles on this, not one actually explains properly how this should be entered in, in the google spreadsheets file. Under "GTIN" column I have put FALSE this does not work, I even created a new column called "identifier exists" and putting FALSE in their, but nothing.

Please please help me ASAP, I have spent forever on something that I would have thought is so simple, what am I missing here?.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Product identifiers

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Seriously, now I am getting Fetch errors. See below. This makes no sense, of course the file exists, I made the **bleep** file through the edit spreadsheet button on the data feed thing itself!!!!! This is absolutely frustrating!

Failed to obtain the file listing. Please make sure the files exist AND that your feed has permission to access them.
Examples:
Url

This post has been edited by a Community Manager per the posting guidelines.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

for the product-identifiers -- if valid gtin, mpn, or brand values do not exist:

(a) simply leave the (gtin, mpn, and brand) values blank (entirely empty);

(b) create a new column labeled identifier_exists
and put a value of FALSE in each row, under the

identifier_exists column, for all such items.

if all items being submitted do not have valid global-trade-data
(brand, mpn, or gtin) then, those columns may be deleted altogether.

importantly, any related product-identifier message must then be ignored --
google's processing simply will not and cannot differentiate between
what is missing by accident and what is being left out purposefully.

see also

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/160161#exemptions

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

for the drive fetch errors --

try rechecking the permissions on the file; generally,

the spreadsheet must have (sharing) access set to

anyone with the link -- for a scheduled-fetch to work

with a google-sheet.

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2494886

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Gary, I agree with you 100% Google Shopping is literally THE WORST THING IVE EVER HAD TO DEAL WITH ON THE INTERNET!!!!! You would think that the geniuses at Google would be able to make a user-friendly UI.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Gary G Did you include the underscore in "identifier_exists" when you created the column? If not, that would be why it didn't work. As Celebird said, you'll want to leave the GTIN column blank and then put "FALSE" in all the "identifier_exists" cells.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Spike. Thanks for the reply.

I actually got it working after many hours of frustration...almost!
I'm onto another error that I won't even mention in this thread (sigh...)

I guess i was looking for an opportunity to complain about the difficulty involved with this process. I apologize for spouting negativity on the web...there's enough out there already!

I am still working on getting my products onto Google Shopping. It took about a week of fetching, processing, researching errors and waiting, but I think I'm almost there Smiley Happy

If Google is listening...maybe, possibly, kind of...work on a Google Shopping UI for those of us that aren't...smart Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Jason O

If it helps at all, they know and they hate the UI too. I was at the recent Google Shopping Experts day in Mountain View and spent a lot of time talking with folks from the Shopping team, they know the UI is very outdated and broken and there are updates in the works. They couldn't be specific about details or timeline, but given the sudden new emphasis on and importance of the Shopping space in Google I think we won't be kept waiting too long. 

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below> 

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Guidelines, in order to remove an offer to assist outside of the Community itself.

Please be aware that it is counter to Community Guidelines to ask other Community members to contact you outside of the Community forum itself - or to either ask for or offer assistance outside of the forum. For reference, a link to the Community Guidelines may be found at the bottom right of the page. Thank you for your understanding.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Spike. That's great to hear! I'm sure it won't be an overnight process, but I'm glad to know that Google Shopping is being looked at and updated Smiley Happy.

Also, I appreciate the offer to help. I might need to take you up on that!
Later,

Jason