AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Product identifiers provided but 'identifier exists' set to false

Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

We have some spare parts from a well known manufacturer that ONLY we sell online.  These products have a brand and part numbers, but do NOT have GTIN barcodes.

If we submit them without the barcode they are disapproved with the error:

Item requires a GTIN

If we set add the 'identifier exists' column and set if to FALSE then we get this error:

Product identifiers provided but 'identifier exists' set to false

The google support page says this:

Store brand items and other products for which you are the only seller generally don't have and won't be required to include GTINs. Other products that commonly don't have GTINs assigned by the manufacturer include replacement parts, custom products, antiques, and some apparel products. When no GTIN is assigned, submit unique product identifiers using these attributes:

• 'brand' required
  • 'mpn' required

So the documentation it describes exactly this situation (spare parts, only seller, no GTIN), and says it is ok, but in reality google disapproves our products!  So what are we supposed to do...?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Product identifiers provided but 'identifier exists' set to false

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Ether submit identifier false or submit identifiers.

So if you submit brand and identifier is set to false, you will get an error.

Simply remove Brand, MPN and GTIN values from that product where the identifier is set to false.

Hope it helps.
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Not applicable
# 3
Not applicable

Firstly, it's not that simple.  Our e-commerce package requires all products to have an MPN (which they do), otherwise it has no way of identifying a particular product.  To create the feed it uses the MPN in the software as the MPN in the feed.  There is no way to tell the software to just leave the MPN blank if there is no barcode.  Which means that the feed would have to be manually edited. every day. which would be a stupid waste of time.

Secondly, the google documentation specifically says, "When no GTIN is assigned, submit unique product identifiers using these attributes: 'brand' required; 'mpn' required"

Can't google just fix it so what they do matches what they say?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Google does read these forums and might take appropriate action.

I recommend as what you state is correct to contact Google to find a solution as I don't know any alternatives to fix your issue.

The only way to fix it is as mentioned before, I do understand you are limited to what your eCommerce platform can do.

From experience, you will find it much easier and faster to contact your developer to modify the data feed tool to remove the mpn and brand for these particular products and to add identifier to false.

Hope it helps.
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Not applicable
# 5
Not applicable
What is the best way to contact google?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Any in the link below.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8206?hl=en

Hope it helps.

Not applicable
# 7
Not applicable
Nope. Filled that in at the time and heard nothing at all.

Also just spent 50mins talking to a customer support rep on chat who basically just refused to accept there was any issue. "there is no exception" he/she kept saying, even when I just cut and pasted the paragraph that explains there are exceptions directly from the help page they provided. They also refused to escalate it (repeatedly).

Seems impossible to just get the message through to someone who can do something about it (whether that is fix the system to match the documentation or fix the documentation to match the system).

Not applicable
# 8
Not applicable
And why do the chat reps only provide the 'survey' option when they have done a good job - let us complain about the useless ones that didn't help at all! That's kind of the point of surveys...

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hello, I'm sure if you ask your developer that you can find a way to resolve your issue as suggested in previous messages.

Or change the plugin, online tool or whatever you are using to create the data feed.

It is up to you to make the changes, if you want to sell on Google Shopping. If this is what you really want, I recommend finding a way to ether fix your issue by having a developer change it. Or by using a different data feed tool.

Hope it helps.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Please note that what I'm saying is not cheating as all rules are pulled from Google's Policy.

Please remember there are several policies out there, you need to read all of them to understand what you need to do. Which I guess is why your asking here for advice. I have highlighted in bold what covers your situation.

[begin quote]

Store brand items and other products for which you are the only seller generally don't have and won't be required to include GTINs. Other products that commonly don't have GTINs assigned by the manufacturer include replacement and original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts, custom products, antiques, and some apparel products. In addition, you may not have GTINs for items with availability ‘preorder’ or condition ‘used.’ When no GTIN is assigned, submit unique product identifiers using these attributes:

'brand' required
'mpn' required
Some products don't have a clearly associated brand, including movies, books, and musical recordings. You don't need to submit a brand in cases like these.

In the rare situation where your product has neither a GTIN nor MPN (for example, made-to-order or handmade items), set ‘identifier exists’ to 'FALSE' to indicate that you have no identifier for the product.

[/end quote]

Source :https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/160161?hl=en

Because Google asks you to submit 3 or 2 identifiers, in your case maybe the brand is not clear. And thus based on this you need to submit it as identifier exist to false, because you can not submit a brand based on that rule. Maybe your MPN's are not correct or not valid. In these cases what I suggest still follows the rules.

In the end, I recommend you do what you think is correct. My answers are based on what I read in Google's Policy.

If you want you can call Google and approach your question differently, and ask if what I'm saying is correct. If so than you know you can continue and find a solution to assign the correct attributes.

I hope this is useful and you can submit your products to Google Shopping.