AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Product Feed when linked with Ecommerce Platform

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone,

When you link up your e-commerce platform with Google Merchant Center and it automatically populates your product data feed how can you be sure that the titles and descriptions will be suitable for the ads?

The product data feed is populated from the information on your website as far as I'm aware. 

If a website has thousands and thousands of products, I can't imagine people go in and edit the titles and descriptions for all these products so how is this handled?

Thanks in advance for any help on this one Smiley Happy

Laura

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Laura. Titles and descriptions are vital both for the E-Commerce platform itself (as they are indexed by Google and enable people to find those products when searching for them) and for AdWords. So an "publish once and reuse many times" approach is more than welcome, in my opinion.

There aren't different requirements for SEO and for Shopping campaigns, with regards to titles and descriptions. They're just the same.

And yes, if there are thousands of products, it's a lot of work when you start with a set of titles and descriptions that are in need of optimization. But it needs to be done anyway. Ideally from the moment a product is added to the catalog, it should have good quality titles and descriptions.

Hope it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Calin,

Thanks so much for the reply!

So are the title and descriptions that Google uses for the product data feed, the meta title and the meta description of the page the product is on?

Thanks,

Laura

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Laura,

Instead of automatically connecting to the Merchant Centre, you can also supply your custom feed or use a third-party plugin for your CMS. A custom feed or plugin might enable you to supply a different title for your products than what is displayed on your website. 

For someone of our clients that use Magento we buy a plugin for greater flexibility, instead of directly connecting. Like all things in CPC, the more you fine tune things, the better the results - but fine-tuning takes time and money.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello, Laura.

That really depends on the platform and how the feed is generated from the available database fields. Feed product titles can be the same with page titles, minus the website name (which is sometimes present in the HTML page title). The feed description can be the meta description, the product short description or its long description.

It all depends on the platform you use and the way it is configured. As Rob says, there are situations when plugins are used and they can either pull data from the same database, allow you to enter specific data or use a combination of both.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.