AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Product Description - Repeat Title or Leave Out?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I currently have several products that have no product description. The title of the product pretty much describes the item accurately and in the best possible way, so I have no further information that I can add to make a product description.

In my merchant centre account I noticed that there were warnings for these products to say that the description was missing. Would I be better to repeat the product title in the description field or just to leave it out altogether?

I've had a look through the Google Help Centre etc and see no reason why I can't duplicate the title again, but would it be of any benefit or would it be detrimental in any way?

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Leanne M
September 2015

Re: Product Description - Repeat Title or Leave Out?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Leanne

The description attribute is required, so you will need to supply one in order for your items to be included in the results. 

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/1344057?hl=en-GB

On top of this, description is important in order to return your items and matching user searches. As you do not use keywords, all attributes are valuable to include descriptive text that will increase the relevancy of your items. 

This is also true for the landing page, so I would suggest creating a description of the items in question on both the landing page and DataFeed.

If the title is the only text you have at the moment and is descriptive of the item and most importantly, accurate, you can place this within the description, but again, would advise on creating a rich description of the item, include colours, sizes, brand, use of the product etc..

It wouldn't be detrimental to your feed, but it will add little value over what I have suggested above, You may, however, be advised of a short description, if the title is very short.

If this or an alternative post has provided you the answer you require, "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Tom

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Description is required field in Google shopping feed. You should use descriptive product details which limit in 5000 characters. do not include any promotional text such as "Free shipping", do not use BLOCK CAPITALS, and do not include a description of your brand or company.

Additionally, the following information should not be included in descriptions:

Links to your store or other websites
Billing, payment, or sales information
References to internal categorization systems, e.g. "Toys & Games > Toys > Baby Dolls"
Comparisons to other products beyond the item you’re selling, e.g. “even better/faster/larger than X”
Details about other products, accessories, or similar items available

If you don't have time, you can use title in description field but highly recommend to product description in detail.

Thanks

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Leanne

The description attribute is required, so you will need to supply one in order for your items to be included in the results. 

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/1344057?hl=en-GB

On top of this, description is important in order to return your items and matching user searches. As you do not use keywords, all attributes are valuable to include descriptive text that will increase the relevancy of your items. 

This is also true for the landing page, so I would suggest creating a description of the items in question on both the landing page and DataFeed.

If the title is the only text you have at the moment and is descriptive of the item and most importantly, accurate, you can place this within the description, but again, would advise on creating a rich description of the item, include colours, sizes, brand, use of the product etc..

It wouldn't be detrimental to your feed, but it will add little value over what I have suggested above, You may, however, be advised of a short description, if the title is very short.

If this or an alternative post has provided you the answer you require, "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Tom

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Description is required field in Google shopping feed. You should use descriptive product details which limit in 5000 characters. do not include any promotional text such as "Free shipping", do not use BLOCK CAPITALS, and do not include a description of your brand or company.

Additionally, the following information should not be included in descriptions:

Links to your store or other websites
Billing, payment, or sales information
References to internal categorization systems, e.g. "Toys & Games > Toys > Baby Dolls"
Comparisons to other products beyond the item you’re selling, e.g. “even better/faster/larger than X”
Details about other products, accessories, or similar items available

If you don't have time, you can use title in description field but highly recommend to product description in detail.

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the replies. We have now added the title into the description so that at least we have something in that field.
Our products are quite niche and do not come in a variety of sizes, brands, colours etc. They are what they are with no variation I'm afraid so it would impossible to create a rich description. Our landing pages also do not contain a great amount of detail other than the product title / type, quantity and a buy it option, but it's not needed for the product.

Thank you for your answers though they were really helpful.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

the title and description are also opportunities
to focus relevancy and improve overall quality --

of both submitted inventory data and landing-pages.

generally, the title should simply name the physical item;
whereas description should describe the physical item's
characteristics to someone who has never seen the item;
both should focus relevancy with respect to how a user
might be searching, the physical product, how the item
might be used, and the website landing-page.

there does not necessarily need to be any variety (product variants) to
improve the attributes since each is designed to serve different purposes.

importantly perhaps, both values may be displayed by google, at
the same time, depending on the context, to potential customers

and both may be used for search and display of product-listing-ads.

also, the dimensions-tab without adwords can sometimes help
to determine if the title and description have enough relevance
and quality over time to translate into conversions.

for example --

Claw hammer with aged cherry wood handle.

vs

Our claw hammer is made with a single-piece of forged, heat-treated, steel head and an aged cherry-wood handle. Weighing 7.5 ounces, the wooden handle is smooth to the touch and is just the right size for small nail or light pounding jobs around the house or yard.