AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border
Reply

Product Approval Issues

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello all, 

 

Fairly new to Google Shopping, so apologises if there are any glaring issues I've not yet realised. 

 

I'm having an issue with the account whereby impressions suddenly fell off a cliff (98% reduction) on 11th May.

 

There were some changes made to the feed by the developers on the 10th of May, but these were around just setting it up to refresh automatically and to draw in new products from the site - to me that was the immediate cause for concern, but as you can see from the attached image the vast majority of products are still approved (green line is when changes made). 

 

Wondering if anyone has some methods for quickly analysing how the products in the feed tie into AdWords?

 

I've looked at the diagnostics tab in the new UI and can see that many products are "Inactive > Excluded" but this is down the account structure, whereby an ad group which sells a certain grouping of products excludes all others that come under the wider category. 

 

Any help greatly appreciated. 

 

Dev changes.png

 

 

 

 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Product Approval Issues

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Another point to add, a lot of products have "Inactive: Excluded" but still have impressions against them - I didn't notice this previously and only have picked it up when using the new UI - is this common for account structures that use exclusions at the product group level?

 

Essentially, am I right in thinking that even though it has them as "excluded", they are in fact live in some area of the account? - but if this is so, then why would some not have this mark against them?

Product Approval Issues

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I recommend comparing the data feed before and after the change. Use a comparison software to check if anything has changed. Assuming nothing has changed and physically checking are two different things. How many times I have assumed something while it was not by accurately looking at the data. So check if possible.

 

A drop of impressions at your stated date, in combination of the data feed being changed indicates something has changed.

 

The diagnostics tool is not something to rely on, you need to physically check yourself.

 

You can check which products are still active by going to the campaign > products tab. Here you can check if they are still listed.

 

As we have no account access, it is extremely hard to provide you with one correct answer. If providing further info is possible, we might find a better answer. But I recommend you check the feed, from your question it sounds like this was the issue.

 

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Product Approval Issues

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the response. Everything points to the developers so far, but I have been trying to diagnose it manually to see which exact products are not serving - it seems to be worse than previously thought. 

 

One thing I have noticed is that, when looking in the new UI, there appears to be a lot of products not serving due to exclusions. The way the product group is structured is that it will go Jewellery > Necklaces < Exclude everything else in Jewellery. However, I now see this in the new UI (img 1) and when I use the diagnostics it returns that the vast majority of products aren't serving due to an exclusions - is this to be expected?

Re: Product Approval Issues

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

img2.png
img1.png

Product Approval Issues

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Excluded means, the products with this ID are not in the subdivision of the selected campaign, ad group or subdivision product group. So I guess the data has changed in the data feed.

 

I recommend that you compare the data feed before and after the change. That is the only way to see what has happened. Ask the developer to provide data. Communicate with them to resolve the issue.

 

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Product Approval Issues

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

the excluded information details are merely the symptoms.

 

the root-cause is likely within the data being submitted --

which can only be seen within the merchant-center-account.

 

use one or two items with issues, carefully inspect

the final-attribute details, by clicking on the item's

title within the products-list-tab -- against google's

policies, rules, and recommendations and against

the data that was submitted before the change --

use that analysis to help determine a root-cause.

 

id changes, the slightest change to any product_type,

or google_product_category, image url issues or issues

with google crawling the website, and all the rules and

policies related to global-trade-data, can all impact the

symptoms being seen.