AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Possible to create a brand awareness display campaign from a product feed? - Not Dynamic Retargeting

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey guys, 

I am wondering if it is possible to create a brand awareness display campaign from a product feed. Just to be clear I am not looking to create a dynamic retargeting campaign to re-target past visitors.

Instead, I am looking to advertise a subset of products or a specific feed, lets say for this example we wanted to advertise Camping Gear. I am trying to figure out how I can advertise these products to an in-market camping audience. 

Basically, I am looking to do what Facebook and Criteo both offer, using our product catalogue to advertise to a broad audience who have not ever necessarily visited our site in the past. 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason M
May

Possible to create a brand awareness display campaign from a product feed? - Not Dynamic Retargeting

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 13
Top Contributor

You can specify filters in the campaign settings under dynamic ad settings

2018-05-01_14-27-45.jpg

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

View solution in original post

Display Ads using product feed images for broad or in-market audiences. Possible?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey guys, 

I am wondering if it is possible to create a brand awareness display campaign from a product feed. Just to be clear I am not looking to create a dynamic retargeting campaign to re-target past visitors.

Instead, I am looking to advertise a subset of products or a specific feed, lets say for this example we wanted to advertise Camping Gear. I am trying to figure out how I can advertise these products to an in-market camping audience. 

Basically, I am looking to do what Facebook and Criteo already do with their dynamic product ads for broad audiences. 

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Yes you can. Simply choose your topics, keywords, placements etc...

Not sure what other advertising platforms do, you can read more here : https://adwords.google.com/home/how-it-works/display-ads/

Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Do you mean like a Shopping campaign on the display network?

Re: Possible to create a brand awareness display campaign from a product feed? - Not Dynamic Retarge

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Shanee, 

Not a shopping campaign. A display campaign, but the visuals for the ad would be fed from products in our feed. Also not looking to retarget but instead target broad audiences based on location & Interests. A basic example of the ad itself is attached. 

Problem is, each time I try to run one of these type of ads, I never receive impressions and I thinking that it may be because Adwords only allows you to use feeds for retargeting purposes only? 

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 11.36.06 AM.png

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Emmanuel, 

Thanks for the feedback, however I am looking to create a display campaign where the Ad visuals and content are feed from our product feed. I am also looking to target these ads to a broad audience based on interests and not with remarketing. 

Problem is, every time I try to run these ads and choose Interests as a targeting option, they simply do not run and I am thinking that it may be because Adwords only lets us use our product feeds for retargeting purposes. 

Let me know if you have any other ideas. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

This is then most likely is caused by a too narrow targeting. Try a less restrictive targeting setup.

Increase the bidding.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Emmanuel, 

I had a very wide targeting enabled. Started with demographics only in a large area. Another problem I am encountering in order to get this working is that there does not seem to be a way to filter out our feed for specific products. 

Ex: I am looking to show high-end backpack products to the Outdoor enthusiasts in a 100 mile area. Targeting is good, very wide. However, there is no way of filtering the products used in the feed/display campaign.

I have thought of submitting a second feed, however, this would cause duplicate id's in Merchant Center and would cause issues. 

I am not sure if you are familiar with Facebook's Dynamic Product Ads for Broad Audiences, This is exactly what I am trying to accomplish with Adwords, but this functionality does not seem to be possible with adwords...

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

To filter out products, simply ad the destination attribute, more info : https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6324486?hl=en

With regards to not getting any impressions, I don't really know, as this seems to be a misconfigured setup in the campaign. I recommend you contact Google directly for help.

Normally you just need to create a dynamic display campaign, than create ad groups with your specified targeting and for the ads choose dynamic ads and fill in the title, long title, business name, destination url and that is it.

Maybe try to create a new one, do not copy anything from the previous campaign.

if this fails, than I recommend contacting google.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Emmanuel, 

Unfortunately, I have tried everything and it really looks like Google will only use your product feed in display campaigns if you are re-targeting. Any other form of broad targeting will result in zero impressions/delivery. 

I have even tried to set delivery to Canada wide (very broad) and it will not deliver. However the second I select a re-targeting list the ads start to deliver. 

Looks like this is just is not possible.....