AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Percentage of own-product impressions dropped (early Dec)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Working for a broadline retailer and manufacturer of anything from tools and cleaning agents to office stationery, we noticed a sudden drop in the percentage of own-brand product impressions. That happened on the 6th or 7th of December 2017 and we didn't see this changing since:

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 18.17.46.png

We are not sure what could have caused this change. I've looked over any blogs and did some research, but there's nothing I could find. I wonder if others have experienced similar issues or if anyone knows what could have caused this.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

There are several things to look into, and carefully researching your data, changes applied before the drop both on the feed, website and adwords.

Things to look at :

Seasonal changes

Competition

Ranking

Changes made to the feed, website or adwords campaigns

Price changes

Normally Google favors branded vs non branded products, this is publicly released by Google. So there might be an algorithm change based on this too.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Err, no. It seems the screenshot I provided has since been removed and you cannot appreciate the problem just like that. 

To describe the issue: the change was sudden, one day to the next, and affected *only* own-brands. So if we had two kettles, one from Britta and one from "own brand XYZ", the impressions for the own brand diminished and the Britta one had no noticeable impact.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Chris, I did indeed see the image yesterday. My answer still stands and can be caused by the previous mentioned topics.

Also check your account history changes as see if anything has changed. Do the same for other metrics and data on Google Analytics and website, see if you can correlate a issue.

We as community members have no access to your account, so you will need to research what is going on. For example check the auction insight and see if its a competitor that has moved in.

Check if any changes where made in the feed.

Check if you have any violations in the product data feed. Go to Google Merchant to view any errors and warnings, than resolve them.

Make sure your data is accurate and follows all Google Policies.

The only way to resolve your issue, is by checking everything step by step.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Emmanuel, I appreciate what you're saying and my reply wasn't particularly thorough. I apologise.

Indeed, I excluded a lot of the things you mentioned. Seasonality is a difficult one to disprove, but I am looking into SQRs and see if the percentage of impressions of own v not-own has changed on an item level.

Price changes, campaign changes, feed changes and website changes can be excluded. The Change History does not show anything at all.

We are key-account managed (not that this means much) and I've escalated the issue to that channel. Sadly, Google reps are not always as informed on algorithm changes than we'd like. Google's response was that there was no algorithm change. However, I read on a different site that there were changes to Shopping in December and that the Manufacturer Centre has gotten more 'power': https://blog.datafeedwatch.com/december-2017-google-shopping-updates.

I appreciate this isn't a very thorough article and pretty vague, but I don't think I want to exclude algorithm changes just yet - even if Google already excluded this possibility.

My question was also not really around how we can analyse the issue (been doing this for a very long time), but if others have experienced similar things and if they found the root cause already.

Chris