AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

PLA carrier calculated rate is not choosing the cheapest shipping option

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey all,

When I search for most of my products in google, I see the following for shipping costs:

(I can't upload pictures for some reason - google says the html in my post is invalid? I'll just type out what the pictures are)

$3.95

+0.37 tax and $6.45 shipping

$6.45 for shipping to the same city I'm located in.. that's pretty steep for a small product. Here's what I see on our website when looking at carrier calculated rates for the same product:

$2.83 - USPS First Class

$2.83 is much better, and what I would rather have display.

$6.45 - USPS Priority Mail

There's where the $6.45 is coming from.

So google is choosing to use the number for Priority instead of First Class, even though first class is cheaper and would likely result in getting more clicks. Why is that, and how can I get google to choose only the cheapest option available?

For reference, here is our shipping options as laid out in the merchant center. (copied and pasted as I cannot upload pictures)

Carrier-calculated rate
Active
Carrier-calculated rate
Active
Carrier-calculated rate
Active
Carrier-calculated rate
Active
Carrier-calculated rate
Active
Carrier-calculated rate
Active
Carrier-calculated rate
Active
Carrier-calculated rate
Active

Thanks for any and all help.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sean D
June 2016

Re: PLA carrier calculated rate is not choosing the cheapest shipping option

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Sean,

I see on your site that shipping rates are calculated at the basket stage rather than on the product pages so that would of course mean you can't use the amounts in your feed.

What I guess is happening is that the calculation on your site is more precise - it knows exact zip code for the product - and Google itself may not have accurate location data, plus it may get its data from carriers a little differently (or at a different time) from what you get on the site.

You could potentially only display 1 carrier in Merchant Center so that only one price is displayed in shopping results?

Ali

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Sean,

Thanks for providing so much detail it's really useful.

You have the shipping options from account level, but when you look at an individual product in Merchant Center which shipping options are appearing as attributes to the products?

Ali

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ali,

Thanks for your response.

These are the shipping options for the product in particular I am looking at, when shipping to the same city I'm located at:

Shipping method name Shipping rate
USPS Priority Mail
$6.45
USPS First Class
$6.75
FedEx Home Delivery
$10.52
FedEx Ground
$10.93
FedEx Express Saver
$18.66
FedEx Two Day
$19.53
FedEx Standard Overnight
$27.75
FedEx Priority Overnight
$30.04

So it looks like google IS displaying the cheapest - it's just that they have a much higher First Class price than we do. Looking at it on our website, our cost is only $2.83, a full $3.92 less expensive. Calculating the same weight(.3 pounds) to the same destination using the USPS postage price calculator, first class is displaying $2.83, the same cost we charge our customers on our website. So why is Google estimating this cost at $6.75, I wonder?

Just for clarification, we don't have any rate adjustments under any of our shipping options - I've double checked this.

Thanks,

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Sean,

Have you taken into account the calculations taking place for the shipping prices?

I can't include screenshots either but here's a link to a screenshot. 

Ali

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I suggest you check the weight and dimensions. As these are values you can add in your data feed. The values you are submitting might be incorrect.

As an aside note, you can provide the shipping price within the data feed. Data feed shipping prices will overwrite Google Merchant defined settings.

Hope it helps.
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ali,

I'm not sure what you mean by calculations - That should all be done on USPS and FedExs side, because it's a carrier calculated rate rather than a rate table, right?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Sean,

As @Emmanuel F mentioned, the shipping rates are in your feed.

So there are a few options for adding shipping information to your products:

Including in the Feed

There'll be a field where the shipping costs and options are inputed into your feed - depending on your CMS you'll be able to identify where this is done. This means that each individual product should match up to the data on the landing page.

Set Calculations in the Account

If you go to Merchant Center, click on Settings > Shipping then select any delivery method you'll see that there are different rate options according to weight.

When you find those settings can you share them with us?

Ali

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Emmanuel,

Thank you for your reply. I don't use dimensional weights on any of my products - they're all rather small. In the feed, I only specify weight. USPS doesn't take the dimensions into account when requesting a quote from them unless it is provided. Do you think google is getting a quote from USPS using some preset dimensions that I did not specify?

I did have the shipping weights manually set - all at the standard low cost - but google doesn't like my doing that, and wants me to provide more accurate shipping rates, so now I'm trying to get the carrier rates to work.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ali,

The only thing I specify in my google feed regarding shipping is the weight of the individual products. I'd rather get the carrier calculated rates to work rather than input my own shipping costs, because those change depending on where you are located, and Google sent me a rather threatening email a few days ago basically saying that my shipping rates don't match, and I need to provide more accurate info or my account will be suspended.

I don't see any field on the shipping methods for rate options according to weight. Here's a picture of what I see: http://imgur.com/DAS7xa1
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sean D
June 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Sean,

I see on your site that shipping rates are calculated at the basket stage rather than on the product pages so that would of course mean you can't use the amounts in your feed.

What I guess is happening is that the calculation on your site is more precise - it knows exact zip code for the product - and Google itself may not have accurate location data, plus it may get its data from carriers a little differently (or at a different time) from what you get on the site.

You could potentially only display 1 carrier in Merchant Center so that only one price is displayed in shopping results?

Ali