AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

PLA Approved vs eligible

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have its PLAs status set as approved ?

All my PLAs are set as eligible and therefore not eligible to run on the search partner network.

Do you see any traffic from search partners with PLAs and if so, could you:

- state if your PLAs are Approved or eligible

- give me a rough ratio Google vs search partners ?

i'm just wondering if i'm missing on traffic.

thanks a lot,

Sifalio

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author sifalio
September 2015

Re: PLA Approved vs eligible

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Ok, I'll do straight and succint:

1. Yes
2. a)
3. No (was yes before, my mistake)

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hey sifalio,

You'll probably know that PLAs work differently to text ads in the sense that they are automatically generated from your Merchant Center feed. For this reason they will appear slightly differently in your account too. If the status of the Ad in your campaign is eligible then they are good to go! You should see impressions and clicks within a few days of creating the campaign. 

It's difficult to give a ratio of Google vs Search Partners but you will see most of your impressions and clicks coming from Google. 

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Hannah

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
...so would it make sense to see a few million impressions for my PLAs on Google Search and less than 500 (as in Five hundred full-stop; NOT five hundred thousand) on the Search Partner Network during the same time period?

I'm wondering if the PLA ad-unit actually running on the search partner network?

Is any other community member also experiencing this disparity in impressions and traffic volume between Google Search and the Search Partner Network for PLAs?

thanks Smiley Happy

Sifalio

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello, Sifalio.

From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) you're running PLAs together with regular text ads in the same campaign (Search Network Only - All Features).

If you ask me, that's not the best setup. Sure, if you ad both text ads and keywords, along with product extensions and targets you may get them all running.

But, as Hannah already said, they use a different targeting method. Moreover, text ads run on Google Search and Google Partners, PLAs run on Google Search and Google Shopping.

PLAs do not use regular text ads to show, they use "promotions", which are not necessary to enter when running PLAs but might help when relevant or catchy.

Another "neat" thing (in the negative sense) is that PLAs have the ad position "0" and this really messes up the average position at ad group / campaign level when you run both text ads and PLAs in the same campaign.

Here's a link to help you understand campaign type differences. And if you want to take my advice, give PLAs their own dedicated, "Product Listing Ads"-type campaign.

Good luck!
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

OK, lets try to rephrase my question... with a screenshot this time...

Even though the campaign type setting shows "Search Network only - All features", the screenshot below is the Ad Group level report view of one of our campaign which only uses Product Level Ads and never had any other ad unit running in it, it doesn't include any keywords either.

This campaign has its network settings set as: "Google Search Network - Include search partners".

As you can see, I've used the "network (with search partner)" segment split.

pla_question.jpg

My questions are:

1. Is it normal to have almost no impressions on "search partners" while we have over 118K impression on "Google Search"?

2. Would impression in Google Shopping be included in "Google Search" or in "Search Partners"?

3. Does anyone has their PLAs status set as "approved" and not "eligible"?

I'd really appreciate it if I could have straight answers to these questions rather than create debates on how to run PPC campaigns.

Thank you,

Kind regards,

Sifalio

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author sifalio
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Ok, I'll do straight and succint:

1. Yes
2. a)
3. No (was yes before, my mistake)

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

I'd really appreciate it if I could have straight answers to these questions rather than create debates on how to run PPC campaigns.

Sifalio, there is no need to be rude. The people trying to help you are volunteering their personal time and knowledge to try and answer your questions.

The reason you feel you are getting "debates" instead of answers is that PLAs are like everything else in online advertising. The short, simple answer is, "it depends."  PLAs are like all other advertising--the results you get can vary widely depending on the market, the product, and the quality of your content/data.  You asked your original questions generically and vaguely. There were no simple yes/no answers.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*