AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Optimized Google Shopping , Traffic Drops 200%???

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've implemented moved a Google Shopping All Products Campaign into a 3 Tier Priority Campaign [High, Medium, Low].

I used the existing campaign to become the [High Priority Campaign].

[High Priority] = Best Sellers - Highest Bid

[Medium Priority] = "Better Selling Categories" - Mid Tier Bids

[Low Priority] =  "All Products" - Low Bids

The idea is to do a negative keyword list for low value keywords (single/double keywords with low commercial intent), starting from the [High Priority], to the [Medium Priority] campaign where I negative keyword single-brand terms. Every other search term will then end up in the [Low Priority] campaign.
Ideally, this seems to be the best practice as suggested by many blogs. However, I'm seeing almost a 200% decrease in overall traffic. (30+ clicks to 10-20 clicks). Plus point though, the cost is significantly decreased as the all-products campaign's CPC set much lower.

2017-06-06_2042.pngScreenshot

For the oddest reason, the [Medium Priority] campaign has 0 impressions. ?? Pretty sure the negative keywords used are [brand] only.

I will attempt to switch it up and use:
[High Priority] - All Products (low bids)

[Medium Priority] - Categories (mid bids)
[Low Priority] - Best Sellers (high bids)

Could it be feed optimization issues? It wouldn't explain why the Best Seller Campaign and the All products campaign is working fine though..
Could it be when the campaign is broken up very granular, the Google Ad somehow doesn't work as well? It still wouldn't explain why the Best Seller Campaign is getting traffic though (Broken by brands/categories/and right down to products).

Ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Thats because your setup is backwards.

The branded or more important keywords should be in the low priority campaign which are added as negative keywords in the high priority keywords.

So the best tactic is to have a high priority campaign than add branded negative keywords in this campaign. Which means that all keywords that match the negative keyword will go to medium or low priority campaigns.

High Priority : Generic keywords

Medium Priority : Relevant keywords

Low Priority : Branded keywords

To create low vs high margin, you are better of using custom labels, than create campaigns or ad groups for these. You can even go and use 3 campaigns for each custom label group.

But your current setup is not going to work as you expect.

Re create the campaigns by splitting it up by ad groups and not use priorities if keywords filtering is not important.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Emmanuel,

thank you for your reply. I was evaluating both setups [high priority - best sellers] vs [high priority - all products], based on various blogs. I thought the system seems to work either way, at least, logically speaking.

I will go with your suggested model and the use of custom labels, although..that would require a little more of a manual work with the feed?

Thanks!

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

If you have added negatives for the first time, then it makes sense traffic could decrease. Double check the search terms report, if you added a top volume generating query as a negative, then that would explain the decrease in volume.

Anytime you break a single campaign out into three campaigns, you would also expect the total volume for the original campaign to decrease - Because you are splitting the total volume up among three campaigns.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Emmanual,

I've switched it up and now the High Priority is an all product group (but the all products are still broken down into subcategories, with negative keywords removed and bids lowered.)

For some reason, I'm not getting a lot of traction, while the Low Priority (now "best seller, aka, long tail) is getting traffic.

Does breaking up the All Products into > Brands > Categories > Product ID affect it's deliverability? Is it better to keep the All Product Campaign as All Products?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom,

yes, that would be logical, however the negatives are added so that the other campaigns can take over, with higher bids, with the idea of having a better bid for better selling products.

Yes I'm aware the total volume of the original campaign should decrease, but I'm looking at the stats across all 3 campaigns and measuring them to the original campaign. Also, the original campaign hits the daily budget of $20, I thought there should be plenty of traffic to go around. Hmm.

Thanks for your response!

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Ah, I see. The graph was a bit confusing to me, without any context. Smiley Happy

So, the high priority / best seller campaign was the original all products campaign, and currently, that campaign is spending the allocated $20/day budget, correct?

What kind of impression share do you have for both rank and budget, for the original/premium campaign, before and after the changes?

The best selling products are likely to have the most competition. Now that you have isolated those products into their own campaign(s), you can accurately determine how much potential market share you have for those products. You may have been getting more traffic / click volume for the lower priority products, at a lower bid, simply because there is less competition. Now that you have isolated your products into individual campaigns, you may need different bids and budgets for those campaigns, because you are no longer basing your optimization decisions on aggregate data.

So, what happens if you dedicate as much budget and high enough bids as possible, or necessary, to achieve 100% impression share for your premium shopping campaign?

You may still have lower click volume, but if you improve your conversion rates and CPA, then you are generating a higher ROAS. Which, is the ultimate goal of optimization. Smiley Happy

If you want more volume on top of that, then allocate additional budget to the higher volume / less profitable campaigns. Only after you have maximized your profits of course. Smiley Happy

Tom

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Structure of subdivisions do not effect deliverability.

Removing keywords from high priority will make this campaign have all keywords. Adding negative keywords means it will force the search terms that match the negative keyword to go to the next priority campaign.

Also make sure you assign a shared budget to all campaigns, to avoid any level priority campaign to not have any budget allocated.

If you assign each campaign there own budget it will not work as expected.

Hope it helps.

Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Re: Optimized Google Shopping , Traffic Drops 200%???

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

After switching up between High Priority - Best Sellers to High Priority - All Products (and removing all negative keywords, and putting back long tail/best seller keywords), I end up not getting traffic in the High Priority Section.

Today:

Yesterday:

For the strangest reason, after the switch up, the All Products group get nearly no impressions even though the bid is the same as the old one.

I'm not sure about the campaign shared budget bit, there seems to be sufficient as it seems some way to hitting the campaign limit?

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

As we do not have access to your account, it's going to be hard to push you in the right direction. I recommend reading Google's official documentation to understand how priority settings work. As I have a feeling your trying to set something up that is not meant for what you are doing.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6275296?co=ADWORDS.IsAWNCustomer%3Dfalse&hl=en

Hope it helps.