AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Only 2 items in my Google Product Feed - is this affecting product listing visibility?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

While I am not new to Google Adwords, I am new to the shopping feed and PLA game and am looking for some insight. We have been struggling to get product listings for 2 new products to show in Google shopping results. We are a manufacturer who currently sells these items direct online. I was told by a Google advertising rep that our original daily budget of about $300/day was pitiful - that competing merchants in the category spend 20x the amount we started with - and was told not to bother wasting our money. So we raised our daily spend cap exponentially, prepared to blow through our entire budget in a few days if needed, just to get some visibility and learning for future campaigns. Our listings are getting some impressions - about 150 per day. Not nearly enough to drive traffic. We are only spending $5 or $6 a day on clicks. The product category is very competitive - many competing products and many sellers, so I don't expect high clicks and conversions, but I keep raising the daily budget hoping to get more impression, but this seems to have no effect. Our search impression share is listed as over 93%. I was beginning to wonder if there just

We consulted with a paid search management company who reviewed our merchant account and campaigns and found no obvious issues, but stated that Google may be docking us because we have only 2 products in the data feed. Although I can find nothing in the Google documentation about this, I have since found a few articles stating that sites that list less than 500 products may find it hard to gain visibility. So because we are a smaller company, we can't play in this space? Why should it matter that we have less than 500 items in our data feed? We have about 45 additional items that we were planning to add to our data feed. If having under 500 items is a penalty, should I even waste my time adding items?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Only 2 items in my Google Product Feed - is this affecting product listing visibility?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Theresa
Impressions you’ve received on the Search Network divided by the estimated number of impressions you were eligible to receive.
"Impressions you were eligible to receive" is counted based on your products attributes on shopping feed.
This mean that you need to make sure that the attributes and landing page is optimized for shopping campaign

It is hard to compete with 2 products, and new account, but it is possible !

Re: Only 2 items in my Google Product Feed - is this affecting product listing visibility?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I had created shopping campaign for only 1 product for my client. It is obvious it is having very few impressions but yes, it is sure that we can create shopping campaign with only ONE product.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
There can be a few reasons why you are not getting many impressions. Make sure that you correctly describe the product in your title. Find out if you are using relevant keywords that describe your product.

For example if your selling Golf Polo Shirts. And your title just says Nike Polo Shirts than people whom are using the search term Golf will not see your ads. In this case you should say Nike Golf Polo Shirts.

Small or large companies can achieve the same, you need to ensure you get impressions, which is based on your search terms.

Hope it helps.
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Emmanuel F is right on with checking your optimization.

Building on that, have you made sure that you are providing information for every feed attribute you can? Every little bit of data that you give to Google helps you show more.

Have you checked your competitors and seen what longtail keywords they are focusing on . . . or neglecting? A common tactic for our agency when dealing with a smaller client taking on some big boys is to find the gap in their marketing.  A lot of times a big company will just dominate your low hanging, obvious keywords, but they'll leave themselves open on some commonly searched longtail keywords.

What industry/market are we talking about?