AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

One Product Getting Lion's Share of Clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The good folks at Google got me setup and I'm watching traffic.

My feed includes just two products. Originally I gave them different titles, really the names of the products, and the same description. (They are cuckoo clocks I design and import.) Google said to let things roll and report back when I get my first conversion.

I've been poking around in order to understand this beast. I finally found where to see the products individually and saw that my first product, Th Quilt Shop Cuckoo Clock, is getting nearly all the clicks. Problem is, I am now nearly out of them until my next shipment comes in right before Christmas. So I want to push the second product, The Backyard Birds Cuckoo Clock, which I have in stock.

So last night I did some research and revamped the title and the description of the Bcakyard Birds Cuckko Clock. Result today: 21 clicks for the Quilt and 0 for the Birds.

How can I boost the Birds Clock?

Also, Google is suggesting I increase my daily budget from $30 to $47 which it figure would take me from 157 to 196 clicks per week. Heck, I want 100 clicks per day. Times a-wasting with Christmas, but I need it to be for the clock I want to sell.

Thoughts?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jodie D
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Creating a new campaign does not effect the ranking, it will actually pick up the old ranking.

Changing the title on the second product is your best bet, but you need to ensure you keep the title relevant and describes the product perfectly.

What I would do is have the bids on the second product higher than that of the first product.

Also make sure that if the product is out of stock that the data feed reflect the same information, it is a policy violation to provide false info.

Here is why, if I a customer go to your ad I see it is in stock (because out of stock products are automatically removed), than land on your page it says it's in stock but I have to wait 2 or 3 weeks, that to me is out of stock. If a product can not be delivered in a timely manner is also considered a policy violation.

hope it helps

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

You could run the second product in a separate Shopping campaign (copy/paste the original campaign then rename it), driven by the same feed. This gives you complete control of how much budget goes into the second campaign.

When you click on "Max CPC", a dialog box pops up which allows you to "exclude" the other product.

The problem MIGHT be that the second product is not being matched to search terms by Google. Make sure you have a product title and description that contains terms people are searching for!  And that your bids are at least up to the Benchmark CPC level. And keep an eye on "search terms".

There are a number of Google Shopping experts that frequent this forum, so I am sure you will get more good suggestions too (calling @Celebird et alSmiley Happy

hth

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

When you change any details in the data feed, you need to give it some time to gain traction, this mostly takes around 7 days.

If you have waited 7 days after the change and it's still not getting any impressions than most likely Google favors the other product. Make sure the other products says availability : out of stock so you stop advertising for it.

When 2 products in 1 account are too close to each other ie: cuckoo clocks than 1 will have the most or all impressions. Because Google does not want to advertise similar products from 1 merchant as it needs to share the equity with other merchants.

What I recommend is to bid a bit higher with the second product

Enable remarketing for shopping (dynamic remarketing)

Enable audience remarketing

The two above will give you some extra returned customers

hope it helps

Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh that makes so much sense! My products are so close that Google isn't wanting to display both of them.

I am taking orders for the Quilt Clock, so I don't want to mark it as out of stock. But I want to push the Birds Clock hard now. So I either need to make it out of stock, or bid higher for Birds. Or both. Is the only way to bid higher is as Steve said, move one to a new campaign? And if so, the new one should be for the Quilt Clock leaving the Birds with the history so Google will pick it up more. Right?

I did start out with different titles but the same description and just changed the Birds Clock a few days ago, improving it immensely. So I'll see how my results improve in 7 days.

Everything is set for both forms of remarketing, so I'll press the go button. But still I need to be remarketing the Birds Clocks and have so few clicks!

Stats in case you see anything here:

Max CPC 1.51

Benchmark CTR 1.29 % mine 1.50%

Benchmark Max CPC 1.13 My ave CPC 1.27

Search Share Impress rate 56.04

Thanks Steve and Emmanuel!

Jodie

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jodie D
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Creating a new campaign does not effect the ranking, it will actually pick up the old ranking.

Changing the title on the second product is your best bet, but you need to ensure you keep the title relevant and describes the product perfectly.

What I would do is have the bids on the second product higher than that of the first product.

Also make sure that if the product is out of stock that the data feed reflect the same information, it is a policy violation to provide false info.

Here is why, if I a customer go to your ad I see it is in stock (because out of stock products are automatically removed), than land on your page it says it's in stock but I have to wait 2 or 3 weeks, that to me is out of stock. If a product can not be delivered in a timely manner is also considered a policy violation.

hope it helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Success! Yesterday the Quilts Clock stopped delivering and the Birds Clock got 57 impressions. No clicks, but at least it is showing up. Switching Quilts to out of stock must have done it.

So, patience with Google is the lesson here. Plus, keep learning and tweaking.

Thanks so much!