AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

New to PLA - confused

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm going nuts here trying to wrap my head around this.  I guess I'm missing something. Anyhow, I appreciate any help anyone can offer.  

First, my question:

In the Adwords campaign manager, I see my campaign and I see my product group.

But when I click on the PRODUCTS tab, there's a message saying "There are no eligible products for Google Shopping in your linked Merchant Center accounts."

I'm not sure if my data feed has been approved, I'm not sure if I set up the product group right, and I'm not sure how long all this should take.  When I set up the adwords campaign, should the products appear in the PRODUCTS tab immediately, or does it take a few days like it did for the data feed to become active?

If that's not answerable without some more detail, here's the detail in length:

I've got a bigcommerce store.  (Bigcommerce has a feature to create a data feed from your store, so all the syntax and necessary fields are done for you)

I set up an adwords account.

I set up a merchant center account.  The merchant and adwords accounts are linked.

I uploaded a test data feed.  Found a few errors, corrected them, tested it again and got an error free upload.  I deleted all the test feeds from the account, and uploaded it as a regular data feed.  (IOW, there's only one data feed in the merchant center so I know I'm not confusing that.)

So the data feed:  it was uploaded three days ago.  Originally it had 5 items, but within an hour of uploading it, I decided one of the products wouldn't be worth buying advertising for, so I deleted it from the feed, leaving 4 items.  

My merchant center products overview changed from "In review" to "active" sometime this morning.

In adwords, I set up a shopping campaign, following the step by step procedure listed in the google help files. I have a  .50 CPC max and a $10/day budget.

BTW, there hasn't been any opportunity to set up keywords for the shopping campaign.  Does google make that up from the product description, or is it in the data feed? 

Thanks, I have a hundred questions and I usually like to research the answers myself, but every answer I find on-line generates more questions and takes me further away from trying to figure out, "Did I do something wrong, does it just take some time, or is this what I should be seeing?"

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New to PLA - confused

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David,

When you go to Google.com/merchants, and click on products, do you see a green check mark which actually means searchable?

While setting up the product targets, there are 2 options, one is to add all products and second option is specific if you want to add any specific product item with respect to id, brand, condition etc... How have you actually set up your product targets?

PLA campaign doesn't require any keywords to trigger these PLA ads. It works in accordance with your Merchant center feed and auto populate the product from there. However you do have the option to add the negative keywords if you want to restrict any terms and doesn't want your PLA ads to be shown for them.

I would really recommend you to follow read this help center reference for more details on how to monitor and optimize your Shopping campaign: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3455573

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for taking the time to answer Pankaj.

Yes, I do have the green check mark in the Merchant Center in the "Shopping" column. Thanks for the link to the article, I read through before posting my question, and just re-read it, but the most helpful tidbit, at this point, was that it takes 1-2 days for the metrics to begin to populate.  I'm not concerned with managing or optimizing my campaign, yet.  I just want to figure out if it's even running.

When you ask if I set up Product Targets, do you mean when you tell it which country/countries you want to run the campaign in? In that case, yes, I told it "United States."

Thanks for the clarification on the keywords.  What you said makes perfect sense, I just don't remember that statement from the volumes of help articles I read.  As I said, I just want to figure out if my account is running. 

I guess one of the two questions I was asking, not very clearly I'm afraid, was should I be seeing the products from my merchant center data feed in the Adwords "Products" tab in the Adwords > All Online Campaigns page? If so, how long after the campaign is created?  The second question is "Is my campaign even running?"  The lack of any data in the Adwords Products tab made me think it wasn't , even though the merchant center is reporting the data as searchable.

Thanks for your help.  Google gives a lot of information, but the help files are full of somewhat technical terms that someone new to this might not necessarily understand.  I'm figuring it out as I go along, but for someone new to this, the documentation tells you to set up an account in the merchant center and the adwords center, but sometimes tells you to view a setting without telling you which of the two centers you should be working in.  

I'm sure after a few sessions of getting something accomplished, it'll all become second nature.  It's the startup that's a bit confusing.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Follow up to my question.

My products areshowing up in Google Shopping when I google them, so it appears I set it up properly. Adwords shows 15 impressions and no click throughs. However, when I go into the campaign and click on "Products" it's still telling me there are no eligible products for google shopping in my merchant account.

Maybe that will change as time goes by, we'll see.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,

I'm also new to PLA & Google shopping, experiencing this exact confusion. "Driving myself nuts" is absolutely the only way to express my frustration - there just seems to be no documentation or explicit solution provided. I was glad to find a more recent conversation.

In Merchant Center, my data feed was approved & products listed as "Searchable" this morning.

I'm wondering if you have indeed found it to just be an issue of waiting for the products to appear in Adwords? If that's not the case, have you maybe found a solution otherwise?

I'd be incredibly grateful to hear back from you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Seems like adwords is a day or two behind merchant center, although the products themselves show up in google search within an hour or two of merchant center showing them approved

David Felder
Please excuse the typos, sent from my iPhone

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,

I'm now experiencing the same thing. I'm pretty sure your Shopping campaign must be all good now. Can you share you experience with it? Will you be able to answer your own question now?

should I be seeing the products from my merchant center data feed in the Adwords "Products" tab in the Adwords > All Online Campaigns page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,

It can take up to 72 hours for you to see the products appear in Adwords. If you still don't see them after that time, give Adwords a call.

Kind Regards,

Curtis

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank goodness I found this thread!!!

Setting up PLA and their feeds is a Help Doc nightmare (& I'm a former web tech support guy by trade)!

You would think that Google's help docs would reference this critical time-delay when uploading a Product Feed and then waiting to "see" this data feed from within a new AdWords campaign.

It's bad enough that we small biz types have to learn all sorts of new processes when selling online, but it really adds a whole other level of frustration when Google's homebrew system is 10X more complex than any of my other online sales tools!

C'mon Google! I know it's the web, but what a tangled one you weave!!! K.I.S.S.

PS: Thanks to all you posted replies, it was a big help!