AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

New site plan - avoid suspension / penalties for Google Shopping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Any info / advice would be great:

For internal reasons which are not relevant, we are creating a number of websites as follows:

URL1:

Unique products 1

Accessories

URL2:

Unique products 2

Accessories

URL3:

Unique products 3

Accessories

and so on...

Each domain has a set of core, niche, products that are unique for that domain - they only appear on one domain.

Each site also has a range of accessories.  These accessories are duplicated (identical products) across all domains.  In other words, the same accessories are on all sites (same picture names and alt tags, same product descriptions, unique meta tags, same H1).

Is it possible to run a product feed for all products across all sites?  Each site lists their unique products and their accessories (so there would be multiple feeds of essentially the same product).  I fear this may be a violation of Ts & Cs as per https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/2700314?hl=en.  If it is a violation, how likely is it to be penalised and how likely is an account suspension?  How difficult are these to recover from?

Would a better plan be:

1) Run the shopping feed on each site for the unique products.

2) Pick one domain and run a feed for the accessories only on that domain (so there is just one feed for the accessories)?

Please note, this is primarily a question for Google Shopping, can I assume that the same issues are present for Adwords?

Hopefully that's clear enough - please let me know if any of this is confusing and I will clarify.

Many thanks

B

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New site plan - avoid suspension / penalties for Google Shopping

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Brad

To try and cover all your points one by one, 

Is it possible to run a product feed for all products across all sites?

A feed must only link to one URL, this is the URL used in the setup of the account. So if your products span over numerous URL's then no, this would not be possible.

Each site lists their unique products and their accessories (so there would be multiple feeds of essentially the same product).  I fear this may be a violation...

You are correct, this is a case for violation and disapproval. Duplicate listing or sellers listing very similar products across one or more accounts is also grounds for suspension and possible disapproval.

If it is a violation, how likely is it to be penalised and how likely is an account suspension?  How difficult are these to recover from?

My answer to this is simply, it is very likely, feed's and accounts can be suspended at anytime, without warning, so although you may feel you had gotten away with it for a month, 3 months, or longer, it can happen at a drop of a hat and the time you have been breaking policy in your account could be taken into account and cause disapproval, possibly permanently. Google make the final decision on disapproval and suspensions, so after a ruling, it is very difficult for this to be changed.

Suspension is not something you want to even run this risk of, it is one thing to not know you are in breach of a policy, but to do so with the mindset of waiting to be caught, is not worth it, suspension can be a long period to recover from.

Would a better plan be:

1) Run the shopping feed on each site for the unique products.

2) Pick one domain and run a feed for the accessories only on that domain (so there is just one feed for the accessories)?

1. In order to do this, you will either require a multi-client account or individual accounts for each site, however, note what I said above, if the items are very similar you could also find yourself in breach of policy.

2. You will only be able to list the accessories once, so if you are sure you are within the guidelines to have more than one account/feed, then you could list these within one feed only.

Tom Wilson
Freelance Adwords & Google Shopping Consultant

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your reply. To clarify some of my points:

"A feed must only link to one URL, this is the URL used in the setup of the account. So if your products span over numerous URL's then no, this would not be possible."

The intention would be to create a feed per domain - I assume this requires a multi-client account.

"You are correct, this is a case for violation and disapproval. Duplicate listing or sellers listing very similar products across one or more accounts is also grounds for suspension and possible disapproval."

Ok, so even if we have a multi-client account, setting up separate feeds for each domain and selling identical products will likely result in suspension - i.e. Google does not want a merchant competing with itself not provide users with a diverse experience...

And from what you said, a penalty is not a case of 'if' but 'when' and the consequences are not worth even attempting. I assumed this would be the case and would not have been part of the final plan.

"1. In order to do this, you will either require a multi-client account or individual accounts for each site, however, note what I said above, if the items are very similar you could also find yourself in breach of policy.

2. You will only be able to list the accessories once, so if you are sure you are within the guidelines to have more than one account/feed, then you could list these within one feed only."

Again, to clarify, the intention is to do both 1&2 - Each domain has its own product feed for their respective unique products and we pick one of those domains (and only one) to run a feed for the accessories. So although each domain features the accessories, there is only one product feed for one domain running those products.

A modified example would be:

URL1:
Unique products 1

URL2:
Unique products 2

URL3:
Unique products 3
Accessories

and so on...

I assume that the above is the best way forward...is that correct?

Basically we just need to avoid using the same products in multiple feeds across multiple domains.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind Regards

B

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Just forgot to ask again, this policy is essentially identical to Adwords isn't it?

Regards

B

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Brad, 

You're welcome, 

The intention would be to create a feed per domain - I assume this requires a multi-client account.

This would be the easiest option, if you are controlling more than one account, rather than having individual accounts, with different logins and passwords.

Request Multi-Client Account Here

Ok, so even if we have a multi-client account, setting up separate feeds for each domain and selling identical products will likely result in suspension - i.e. Google does not want a merchant competing with itself not provide users with a diverse experience...

And from what you said, a penalty is not a case of 'if' but 'when' and the consequences are not worth even attempting. I assumed this would be the case and would not have been part of the final plan.

Yes, this is correct, it simply isn't worth the risk, as many cases can see your items, account and website, being disapproved permanently, thus resulting in a complete loss of sales from this channel, rather than a possible reduced amount from the ability to list only once.

I assume that the above is the best way forward...is that correct?

Yes, this would be the best way forward, however, again, if your products are very similar you may still come up against problems when uploading. It may be best to contact Google and ask them for advice. 

You could include the relevant URL's within the additional information comments box on the request a multi client account linked above.

Tom Wilson

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Brad,

Sorry just saw this, after replying to the previous post, Google Adwords policy in terms of normal text ad's or shopping campaigns/pla's?

These may vary slightly, so it would be best to check the policy page for more details.

Adwords Policy

Tom Wilson

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many thanks again for the quick reply.

I am quite confident that the unique products are different enough to not be considered duplicate - it is just the accessories that are duplicated - I will ensure these are run only on one domain.

One last question just sprang to mind (last one, I promise).

Suppose the following situation:

URL1
Widget A

URL2
Widget A

Two different sites, both sell the same product. Obviously I cannot have an Adwords or a Google Shopping feed running for both sites simultaneously BUT can I run an Adwords campaign on one and a shopping feed on the other?  Adwords on URL1 pushing widget A and Shopping feed on URL2 pushing widget A.

I.e. is the double serve / duplicate content issue channel specific?

Thanks

B

Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Brad,

That's fine, ask as many questions as needed.

You are able to run normal text ad's alongside those of your shopping campaigns/pla's.

These are two individual products, even though, it could be confusing given they are controlled within AdWords. Normal Text Ad campaigns advertise your site or particular item within a page on your site, rather than working on a feed which you upload containing your items.

Adwords campaigns run on keywords, which you set and control within the Adwords UI, your shopping results from either that of PLA's or shopping campaigns run from the datafeed you upload and its content being relevant to users searches. Both also rely on a successfully high bid.

Tom Wilson

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

also, gooogle-shopping (product-listing-ads) has
both duplicate physical inventory and website
content policies.

so, even if the physical inventory were kept
unique across (multi-client) sub-accounts
not only would the products need to be
unique enough to pass google's scrutiny
but also the websites' content.

generally, the merchant-center has both one listing
per physical product and duplicate (similar) content

policies, that apply per merchant.

as was indicated, rules and policies for product-listing-ads,
shopping, and the merchant-center are very similar, but not
necessarily always identical, to other adwords ad-types.

https://support.google.com/merchants/#topic=3404779

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/

as an aside, even the webmaster guidelines and most webmasters

recommend having no duplicate content and one single website to

help build a single brand identity; for example, walmart, amazon, etc.

https://support.google.com/webmasters/