AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

New Google Shopping And Alcohol

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So i updated to google shopping the other day, combine this with the update to the policy centre i am now receiving a whole lot less traffic than usual.

My main issue is that because of the policy update i have had to make some sweeping changes to all the wine and beer products in the feed so that they are seen by google as "adult".  Now this i didn't have to do before, but because of this my items will now no longer display when "safe search" is turned on nor when "explicit results" is checked.  These are set as default when a user is logged in - therefore i am going to lose out massively.

Another one of my concerns is that NONE of my competitors seem to have been affected by this, surely none or all google??

oh and another thing, this just so happens to coincide with google express now delivering alcohol!! 

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/06/23/booze-express-google-shopping-express-now-delivers-alcohol-i...

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paul1001
September 2015

Re: New Google Shopping And Alcohol

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Hi Paul,

According to the Help Center, if your website doesn’t generally target an adult audience but you are promoting some product listings that contain adult oriented content, those products should be submitted with an ‘adult’ attribute value set to TRUE.

Take a look at this article (specifically the 'Adult Products' section): https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/188494?hl=en . It should provide more information for you.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your post! 

I completely understand your frustration. I know sometimes the Shopping Campaigns can take time to get up and running, but I don't think a huge drop in traffic would be expected behavior. 

Any Shopping Campaign gurus out there have any ideas? Or has anyone seen something similar happen before? 

Maybe try giving the AdWords Support Team a call? They'll be able to look into your account in more detail and might be able to spot something. 

With regard to your competitors, it's the Merchant Center Team's aim to ensure all policies are enforced fairly. If you notice any policy violations before they do, please let them know by submitting the 'I want to report a policy violation' form under the 'Contact Us' section in the Merchant Center Help Center.  

Thanks! 

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Just to add to my initial reply, I'd imagine the drop in traffic is definitely due to the changes you made to your products. However, according to Merchant Center policies, alcohol is currently considered to be 'non-family safe' (not adult), so make sure you've labeled your products correctly. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Can you explain as to how to tag individual items as non-family safe please? I do not wish to tag the entire data feed otherwise this will impact all of the traffic and not just alcohol items
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paul1001
September 2015

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Hi Paul,

According to the Help Center, if your website doesn’t generally target an adult audience but you are promoting some product listings that contain adult oriented content, those products should be submitted with an ‘adult’ attribute value set to TRUE.

Take a look at this article (specifically the 'Adult Products' section): https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/188494?hl=en . It should provide more information for you.

Hope this helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rachel,

thank you very much, whilst this will stop my data feed from being disapproved, this will not help me get the alcohol shopping feed ads back on to the front page of the serps.