AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

New Campaign Adjustment Period - How To Speed Up Results?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Fellow Managers!

We recently moved an ecommerce client over from their old account, to a new account with new campaigns, optimised correctly. 

The old account had lots of good data but had never been optimised, and consisted of one campaign with a single ad group. I understand that having historical data is good, but when creating new campaigns for clients and of course new accounts the period of adjustment and a drop in sales and conversions is of unavoidable... it is difficult to explain to clients but should be worth the loss for the longer term gains.

However, how can we speed up the process as much as possible to get sales coming in again? Especially on higher budgets? 

Would you recommend accelerated budgets at the start? Bid aggressively? Or just encourage patience?

Thank you!

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Abbie R
March

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

(a) there are only two fundamental ways to improve performance
in the auctions, or improve auction performance at a faster rate --
either increase the bid, or improve quality, or both.

(b) one promotional code per advertiser -- for most countries, the eligible
promotional-credit is only allowed for new advertisers, first ad impression,

on their first ad-account, that is accrued no more than 14-days before a

promotional-code is entered.

an advertiser or agency may be suspended from the program, at any time.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I don't see creating a new Adwords account is anything beneficial, infect a major negative. And potential suspensions if two adwords accounts run at the same time. Google considers this suspicious. Always keep the existing clients Adwords account.

I'm a bit perplexed why you did this. It holds no beneficial values what so ever.

Maybe you did not mean new account?

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Emmanuel,

No, never running them together of course. Yes old accounts are kept.

However we have always been advised to do this by Google themselves, creating a new account when major changes are being made is beneficial for a few reasons:

1. Enter auctions as a fresh account and potentially rank higher faster because you don't have historical data working against you. If major changes are being made anyway, it could potentially take longer for old established campaigns to adjust than it does for new ones to do the same.

2. If conversion tracking is being fixed or changed, again it's easier/better to start with a fresh slate.

3. You get rewarded as an agency for bringing on new accounts. This works out for the client too because it means that new account gets a fully optimised set up and you don't need to work with what might be an inferior structure and so on (as point 1). Of course there are cases where the original account should be kept and optimised but for most a new set up is quicker and more effective.

4. You can apply special offers and coupons to new accounts only, so if that advertiser is yet to receive one you can apply that for them.

What I was asking is for advice on speeding up the process I.e bid aggression or accelerated bidding. So I think you misunderstood what I meant.

In the same way if you change a campaigns daily budget from £10 to £10,000 it doesn't instantly take effect and bring in 1000x more traffic, it takes days if not longer to adjust. 

CTR is another good point, if an existing campaign has an all-time CTR of 1.52%, and you copy it, improve it and the new one has 2% within the first few days, that new campaign in a new account will potentially rank higher faster as well.

Then this will apply for all other metrics. Quality scores too. 

So what may have taken you a month or longer through adjustments to an existing campaign can take far less time, EXCLUDING this adjustment period. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

3) You will need to read the policy again, what your doing is a violation : http://www.google.co.uk/adwords/coupons/terms.html

You are putting your clients advertising business at risk by getting a permanent suspension.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Emmanuel,

I'm concerned by what you are saying but I am confident you're incorrect. Again this is something we have always been told to do by Google themselves (for new clients with old accounts that are a mess) and:

"You are eligible for promotional credit if you (a) are new to AdWords and your first ad impression was served from your first AdWords account no more than 14 days before you enter your promotional code; or (b) are an existing Google AdWords customer and you enable a new feature or product in AdWords or reactivate an inactive account, as specified by Google in the voucher. The applicable eligibility requirement is specified in the offer that you receive from Google."

It would be B, as are there new campaign types and features being used. I will clarify with our partner team to put the issue to rest and repost.

However, this was not the point of my question... 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I completely agree with @Emmanuel F. The cons/ disadvantages of opening a new account especially at that size are much higher than the pros. (if those at all exist). You should do that only in rare cases after all other optimization efforts have bee exhausted.

#1: this is incorrect. Until the system collects enough data, QS is not affected. On the old account, QS of the "overall  past performances" is a small fraction of the score and  is not a major player (compared to CTR or relevancy, for example)

#2: this business model is wrong and does not work to the benefit of the client

#3: - this is a violation of the Policy. One promo code per client in the whole life cycle of all accounts.

It will take you some time to reach past performances, if at all...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi MosheTv,

I appreciate your points here but again, I need to say I respectfully disagree.

1) I see what you're saying about quality scores, but are you saying that achieving a better CTR or CPC in less time is not of benefit?

It takes longer to achieve the same gains with existing campaigns in my experience especially with major structural, setting and budget changes within an account. Can you explain specifically the benefits of keeping an old account with historical data, when that set up of that account is totally wrong and would need to be totally reworked anyway? By making those changes you are creating a totally new set of variables for the system to apply to that old data to, so what value does it have?

You carry forward what was working in the old account, adapt and improve on it in the new account and you get better results faster. Of course we wouldn't do this for very large accounts, it would have to be gradual movements but for most this way of doing things pays off much quicker and is better for the client. 

2) I disagree. The client gets the benefit of free ad credits and we are able to apply the Game On voucher towards our quarterly rewards. As long as you are not trying to take advantage of the offer by creating multiple accounts, or applying an offer multiple times for the same advertiser, it's allowed. I just confirmed this with one of our Google contacts also. He is double checking the black and white but assured me what we are doing makes perfect sense, and there is no reason NOT to apply a coupon to a new account when developing a totally new strategy with new products if one has not been used for that advertiser already.

3) As above, I have just got off the phone with our Google rep and can confirm we are not in violation of the policy. If we get any information contradicting this moving forward, of course, we would change the way we use them.

FYI the way Game On Vouchers work will be changing soon, so this may all be mute anyway soon! Don't know how but have been told this by our reps... 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Abbie R
March

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

(a) there are only two fundamental ways to improve performance
in the auctions, or improve auction performance at a faster rate --
either increase the bid, or improve quality, or both.

(b) one promotional code per advertiser -- for most countries, the eligible
promotional-credit is only allowed for new advertisers, first ad impression,

on their first ad-account, that is accrued no more than 14-days before a

promotional-code is entered.

an advertiser or agency may be suspended from the program, at any time.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

@MosheTLV to put my main point in another form: 

Data is only valuable as long as it is relevant. 

If one campaign performs better than another, the data of the old campaign no matter how long it has been running is less valuable than the data of the new (of course, once the new campaign has run for a reasonable test period).

I've seen people cling on to 10 year old accounts, because of the "historic" data but it really isn't that important. A search engine isn't going to value that age over a better performing, more relevant/higher quality ad for very long. 

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

@Celebirdthanks a) this is what I thought but wanted some feedback. We just need to wait basically so the changes we have made can take effect then start optimising. 

b) aware of these, thank you. This was posted earlier but for existing clients, it falls under section b) https://www.google.co.uk/adwords/coupons/terms.html

"are an existing Google AdWords customer and you enable a new feature or product in AdWords or reactivate an inactive account, as specified by Google in the voucher. The applicable eligibility requirement is specified in the offer that you receive from Google."

From what we have been told and have read in the terms, this applies to new accounts for existing advertisers when they have a new account created for them by an agency with new campaigns and for example remarketing, display etc which have not been used before. As long as they haven't already had an offer applied.

They aren't purely for new advertisers, they are also there to encourage old advertisers to breathe new life into old accounts or campaigns through the help of an agency.

But again if I am told differently I will post it here so it is clear as crystal and here for future reference by any other agencies or advertisers. Smiley Happy