AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

New Ad Group in Shopping Campaign not performing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, hope someone can shed some light on this. We've just inherited a shopping campaign from a new customer. The campaign was poorly structured, containing one ad group and just one, undivided "All Products" group with over 7,000 products. Despite not being able to manage this very effectively at a more granular level, the campaign did ok for our customer and he is accustomed to 500-600 clicks per day.  

We decided to pause that original ad group in favour of a new one that was sub-divided by product type. It uses exactly the same feed as the old ad group, same campaign settings, bidding strategy etc, but now we have 147 product groups within this new ad group, so we can view and manage performance in much better detail. The only problem is, impressions and clicks have really dropped dramatically since enabling this new ad group yesterday morning. But if we pause the new ad group and enable the old one again, adverts start showing again almost immediately.

We can't understand this - all settings and the product feed are exactly the same for both ad groups within this campaign. Effectively all that has changed is our view of the products, isn't it? Is there some reason why a new ad group would be slow to start showing ads?

Grateful for any insight.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mandy C
September 2015

Re: New Ad Group in Shopping Campaign not performing

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mandy,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

AdWords feeds much on historical data and this is the only reason your new campaigns are not performing like the old one. Whenever I work on an existing campaign, I do not point-blankly go to create new ones and start depending on them. 

You can try sub-dividing the existing ones. If not, start with the least performing ones in the new campaign and pause them in the old one. I mean switch gradually, not all of a sudden even if you need whole new campaigns. 

My two cents!

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mandy C
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mandy,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

AdWords feeds much on historical data and this is the only reason your new campaigns are not performing like the old one. Whenever I work on an existing campaign, I do not point-blankly go to create new ones and start depending on them. 

You can try sub-dividing the existing ones. If not, start with the least performing ones in the new campaign and pause them in the old one. I mean switch gradually, not all of a sudden even if you need whole new campaigns. 

My two cents!

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Mandy,

If you observe degrade in performance in your new ad groups and can't wait longer to let the new ad groups set and start driving good traffic; Just subdivide ALL Products in your old ad groups by an attribute say "Brand" or any other custom attribute you have set.
Still you can bid separately for these different product groups in the way you were able to do at ad group level.

Thanks

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

performance is based on the bid and quality.

as was indicated, quality is based in large part on historic data --
which was likely lost in the transition -- and can take weeks or
months to return depending on how long the original campaign
took to reach its peek -- and might be compensated for by either
sub-dividing the existing ad-group or pausing and incrementally
transitioning currently poor performers, or by (initially) higher bids.

multiple ad-groups are mainly for assigning different promotional messages.

that said, having 147 product-groups -- especially based on viewing
and managing performance -- is not necessarily the best structure.

one of the primary goals of google's transitioning from regular-pla-campaigns to
shopping-campaigns, product-groups, and shopping-campaign performance tools,
was to avoid campaign structures based on viewing and managing performance.

rather, (only) the bid strategy should drive the product-groups.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks to you Ratan, and to everyone else who helped out on this. On reflection, the history behind the old ad group was probably a more critical factor than we anticipated. We're going to stick with the old ad group for now, sub-dividing it by product type and making any transitions to new ad groups much more gradually.