AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Negative keywords don't work to block irrelevant queries in shopping campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been adding negative keywords to a client's shopping campaign to prevent irrelevant queries from triggering our shopping campaign products from displaying.

They sell wakeboards and water sport products.  We are seeing crazy queries triggering our products like the following:

motorized surf boards

electric wakeboards

electric powered wakeboards

jet surf boards,

etc.

i have been adding these irrelevant queries as negative keywords in various match types such as:

exact:

[motorized surf boards]

[electric wakeboards]

[electric powered wakeboards]

[jet surf boards]

broad match stems:

motorized

electric

jet

etc.

Google keeps matching to these queries no matter what. I get the feeling negative keywords don't work the same with shopping campaigns and aren't as effective (sinking feeling).

It seems like the more i optimize my feed to exclude the non performing products, the more google amps up these irrelevant queries to ensure i meet my spend.

We think its this product that is being displayed for these totally irrelevant queries:

2016 Ronix Koal Technora Thruster Wakesurf

Any ideas on what I can do to prevent these queries from triggering our products and wasting our spend? Its eating up our budget early in the day.

Would reconfiguring our campaigns help? Right now we have one feed and broke out the products into product groups based on a field in the feed. I am adding the negatives at the campaign level.

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jay W
July 2016

Re: Negative keywords don't work to block irrelevant queries in shopping campaign

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Jay!

A good way to test is using the Ad Preview and Diagnostics tool to see if the products are showing.

Remember that negatives don't apply to product groups, only to Ad Groups and Campaigns.

To answer your questions (as Emmanuel did but I'll echo his responses):

1. Yes within the hour - if you still see a preview of a term for which you've added a negative after 2-3 hours then there's a problem.
2. Campaign negatives will affect everything in that campaign - every single term. Ad Group level only affects that single ad group.
3. The negative keyword list will work across your campaigns - search and shopping included.

Ali

View solution in original post

Re: Negative keywords don't work to block irrelevant queries in shopping campaign

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
You must be doing something wrong, as negative keywords do work.

Make sure that when you add a negative keyword that it is applied to the ad group you have setup or the whole campaign.

Also I recommend you use phrase match.

Make sure if you have a multi campaign setup that you have priorities set correctly and that you add the negative keyword to both campaigns.

I have plenty of clients where I add negative keywords, both exact or phrase. It works as expected.

If this is not helpful I suggest contacting Google Adwords to assist you.

Kind regards, Emmanuel.
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Emmanuel...

1. How long does it take for the negatives to start working?

2. Does it matter if you add at campaign or ad group level?

3. Can you use a negative keyword list like with search campaigns?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
1. I should think within the hour
2. Negative keywords for campaign effect all ad groups within the campaign. Negative keywords for ad group only effect the ad group.
3. Yes
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jay W
July 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Jay!

A good way to test is using the Ad Preview and Diagnostics tool to see if the products are showing.

Remember that negatives don't apply to product groups, only to Ad Groups and Campaigns.

To answer your questions (as Emmanuel did but I'll echo his responses):

1. Yes within the hour - if you still see a preview of a term for which you've added a negative after 2-3 hours then there's a problem.
2. Campaign negatives will affect everything in that campaign - every single term. Ad Group level only affects that single ad group.
3. The negative keyword list will work across your campaigns - search and shopping included.

Ali