AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Needing Help With Policy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have just received notification that our Merchant account is suspended. When I called Google they say it has been suspended multiple times, but this is the first time I have ever heard of there being a problem.

Anyway, the reason apparently is: UNTRUSTWORTHY PROMOTIONS (MISREPRESENTATION OF SELF OR PRODUCT)

Now, we sell high quality motorcycle accessories that are manufactured in UK, USA, and Germany

- our site provides completely accurate photos, titles, descriptions, all with original content

- all required policies (return policies, etc) are all in place

- SSL and site security is all good

- we are even a Google Trusted Store and had to go through a very rigorous quality assessment to get that!

In other words, we are a genuinely high quality outlet. So for the life of me I can't see how our site has been labeled as having "untrustworthy promotions". I have had several phone calls with Google and they just keep saying "check the Shopping policy and make sure it complies".

Well I have checked the policy and as far as I can tell it does comply. But they won't give me any specific examples on what they think is wrong.

Just wondering, how do I proceed here? I'm guessing there is no right of review, so are there any services out there that can review our website and come up with the answer? Any other advice or suggestions?

Our site is www.hurtlegear.com.au

Cheers, Graeme

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Needing Help With Policy

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

normally, if there is a path to being reinstated google will state the
steps to take within their policy-violation email -- unfortunately, if
there are no corrective steps in google's email then, typically nothing
can be done and the suspension from the program is permanent.

for product-listing-ads in particular, there are policies for the supply-chain,
website, items, images, business-model, e-commerce, and landing-pages.

for example, the merchant-center-account supports, only one, single, website;
generally, this functionally is to prevent similar content from being submitted
from multiple websites or venues -- google is the final arbiter of "similar".

however, forum-members can mainly offer suggestions based on the information
that is posted here within the public community-forum -- forum-members cannot
look directly into any submitted data, accounts, or any account histories.

note that untrustworthy usually refers to the business-model, supply-chain,
or how any related businesses, business-models, or items were promoted

or represented -- not that the business itself was illegitimate in its dealings.

similarly, although a website may also have policy related issues
that may otherwise trigger a suspension, such issues typically do
not relate directly to an untrustworthy-promotions violation unless
these were specifically mentioned within google's violation email.

regrettably, an account flagged with an untrustworthy-promotions
violation normally cannot be reinstated and any other related
accounts will eventually be suspended.

see also
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/188486
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/160637
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/1344057
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/160491
https://support.google.com/merchants?#topic=3404778
https://support.google.com/merchants?#topic=3404779
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/188494

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply. Given that there are no steps to be re-instated mentioned in our email, I'm assuming then that we have a permanent suspension.

It seems incredibly harsh to me, to receive a suspension without any warning, any explanation, or any opportunity to fix the issue, especially considering our long history of working with Google to achieve a high quality site and Google Trusted Store status.

Very very odd business practice, leaves quite a sour taste in our mouths that's for sure.

Graeme

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

As celebird mentioned we can only provide you with our own opinion which does not reflect Google's Looking a little deeper into your site, I have found that 1% of your backlinks are penalized by Google which suggest that ether you or a company has been dealing with black hat techniques to attempt to increase SEO. I have no idea these things are interconnected, but Google is allot smarter than me and what I know is that Google is searching for honest merchants. Some of the sites that link to you have a very high spam score, which is not helping you at all. It looks to me that your previous business South West eCommerce is causing you the most pain followed by south west life and wuhilo.

It can also be unrealistic promotions, as you have a minimum purchase order for free shipping, Google might find $200 to high.

I recommend you stop and remove all negative elements, and simply turn towards white hat. Hope it helps, please note that this is my findings and does not reflect or might not even be true.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Graeme O;

As @Celebird already mentioned the key in untrustworthy suspension is NOT  technical issues, but the core nature of the business model and  the business practices.

Reinstating  due to untrustworthy requires a complete overhaul of the business model. This is like asking the Tigris to change its stripes.... Smiley Surprised

I'm afraid you'll have to pursue other advertising platforms to promote your business.

Sorry;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, yes it seems that way. Very strange though, we are a traditional retailer, so not sure why our business practices would be any different to the millions of others out there. It just sounds bizarre that Google would not allow that business model.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Seeing as though Google have have decided there is a problem with our site and permanently suspended our merchant account, then my fear is that this could eventually happen to our other Google presences (Adwords, SERP).

Given that Google won't provide any specific examples of how our site breaches their policy, and we've been through the policy with a fine tooth-comb and can't see any breaches, are there any services out there that can help identify the problem? Is it an "SEO" expert? Any other recommendations? Assuming of course that Google don't have someone that can say "THIS is the problem, fix that"?

Cheers, Graeme

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

generally, outside recommendations in the forum are not allowed.

one note is that since untrustworthy-promotions or misrepresentation
usually includes the business-model, the registered website is almost
never the issue or, at least not the only issue.

for example, if other accounts, websites, or
similarly owned businesses were involved.

for example, if the issues were related to a supply-chain.

google typically indicates to fix-that only if something specific can be fixed.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks. I just feel I don't know where to turn. We buy high quality, expensive motorcycle accessories directly from well known, established brands, and sell them retail. The business model is like millions of others, completely normal, and the products are superb quality. It's like someone at Google has made an assumption or mistake but nobody will talk to us about it.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

first, you're welcome.

both the specific details and a much larger,
overall, view of then entire history of the
business and any related sites or accounts
should likely be considered.

apart from the suspension, if there seems to be website issues
then, the webmaster-forums is likely the best avenue for advice --