AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

My shopping campaigns is getting too few clicks.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi guys

i think i have done everything right. i have crossed all my Ts and dotted the Is on my shopping campaign. this is not my first campaign as i have a bit of experience with shopping campaigns.
I still dont understand why i am getting too few clicks.

shopping.png

any tips would help. by the way i doubled the CPC 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Zaby,

You might want to look at your price/photos of products in relation to your competitors, you seem to be getting a fair amount of impressions at 20K but the 0.31% CTR is probably hindering clicks. I'd try optimising the merchant centre first and then if the CTR is still relatively low you might want to get in contact with AdWords Support.

Hope this helps,

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Zaby, sounds like you are a Shopping veteran but since you asked for outside opinion here's my two cents:

• Have you "reverse engineered" your titles and descriptions using SEO methods?  If you can include late-funnel keywords in your titles and keywords, then your ads are more likely to be clicked on and convert.  I see this overlooked in almost every Shopping campaign.  The first 70 characters of the title are crucial for campaign performance. If your titles aren't right, then Google will display your ads to the wrong audience.

• Have you double-checked your product category selections in the Google category map?

• Have you studied your ads versus what you're competing with in the ad display panel on the SERP?  If the Benchmark CTR is 1.41% and you're getting 0.31%, there is likely an issue there. 

• How about your negative keyword base, are you using that to push off the wrong search terms?

• If it's a larger campaign: if you have too many products in the campaign, Google may be happilySmiley Happy displaying low-converting products consuming too much ad spend on those.  Consider running a low priority campaign off the same feed, and lowering the budget in that campaign.  In order to focus ad budget onto the best-converting, and highest margin products.

hth

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Matthew L

Thanks for the advice. the products being sold are high end. so the price could be a bit of an issue but i am still worried about the CTR

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi @Steve B

can you tell me more about reverse engineering any resources i could read about. maybe it could make the difference. 

I double checked the product category i think it is fine 

i know the CTR is a big problem, 

i have a ton of negative keywords and most searches are exact match. so am not to worried about that. 

i just got this account so i am yet to find the high selling items to filter them out. 

thanks so much for the help 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Mentioning or indirectly promoting favored 3rd-party products is discouraged in this forum, generously supported by Google and the volunteer AdWords community. Which is the proper way to do it, as that would quickly lead to abuse of this public tech support resource. 

Suggest you search for leading solutions to scan and index your landing pages for keywords, and keyword density.  Then you can see if Google can "see" your keywords, and if your keyword density is within bounds on the product page. 

hth

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi @Steve B

thanks so much. i was hoping for a google article that you could share. but i will google more about that. thanks for the info

regards,

Zaby

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

just to give my 2 cents

A low CTR always is related but not to all

title (are you on topic, are these optimized?, ...)

image (are they good enough?)

price (are you highly priced, maybe focus on converting keywords)

shipping price (what is your competitor doing)

first 150 character description

business name used in google shopping

do you have any promotions or automated promotions?

competition

If you have done all the above, than the final check is bidding. Your Lost IS is 30% you should get it down to around 10%.

Is your title triggering wrong search terms, is your image poor, do you have an overly priced shipping rate. The list goes on. But the listed items is your priority.

Think of it this way, CTR defines that people look at your ad, but decided to click on a competitor or stopped searching. Now your job is to find out why this has happened.

Some clients are easier to figure out, some more complex in extreme cases it's down to overly priced products.

hope it helps

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

What happened that 2nd week in September? You had a huge spike in volume for a week or so. I would go back to that time frame and see what stands out. You're getting 70% impression share, and only losing IS due to rank. So users are seeing your ads. Something changed that resulted in the ads no longer having the same appeal. Did you make any "optimizations" at or around that time? Sometimes things don't work out the way you want them to, which is why testing is always an ongoing process. Can you try to get back to where you were, then let that run for long enough to accrue some actual data, before making any further changes?

Tom

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi @Emmanuel F

how would a person focus on converting keywords? should i be using a script or should it be on the description?

regards,

Zaby